Rarest G&L?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 pm

What would you say the rarest production G&L ever made was? Would it be the ASAT Z-2 and the ASAT '50? Only 10 made of each. What can beat those?

Re: Rarest G&L?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm

What about an S-300? How many Z-2's are there? Number of Asat '50's? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Northside Jimmy wrote:What would you say the rarest production G&L ever made was? Would it be the ASAT Z-2 and the ASAT '50? Only 10 made of each. What can beat those?

Those were Special Build instruments and were commissioned by Tim and Bob Page at Buffalo Brothers (Carlsbad, CA). So, I would not consider them production models. I would guess that the HG-1 would be the rarest production G&L made. From our G&L Registry Rarebirds listing:

The HG-1 is one of the more well-known rarities, simply because it is unclear whether this model even exists. If it does, it's likely that only a very small handful (less than 5, if even that) were ever made. The guitar in theory would be the humbucking equivalent of the SC-1, employing a bright HG humbucker in the bridge position. If this guitar does exist, you'd better cover your ears - 'cause it's probably bright enough to break glass. ;-)

Anyone else ?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:23 pm

I not talking colors or bridges, I'm talking total number of guitar models made. So..are the custom creations G&L made, not production models? Also, Did Buffalo Bros set out to make 10 of each model? Or, if they had 100 orders, would they have made them?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am

Off hand, I'd have to also go with the HG-1 as a possible rarest if you limit it only to model. That said if you go to configurations of certain models it can get just as rare. See Tim's mention of the Green G-200s. I personally also know of only two sunburst hardtail SC-2s in the first body style. If you get specific, it gets easier to claim rarity. I'm curious to see what others think.

Lates,

Connor

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 pm

It appears to me, that the HG-1 is the rarest. With a total of 5 or less made, and released to the public to buy/order, we may have a winner.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:02 pm

How about a lefty Comanche ? Only a handful were made.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Nope..no colors, bridges, lefty models, neck/body woods in the equation. Just model production totals.