NGD! Invader Project

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:02 pm

I am a big fan of the 3 Superstrat models of the 80's. Especially the Rampage. I love the feel of the necks, and they have a great classic rock sound. I have been looking at an 85 Invader for the past few months that a dealer has had on consignment. It plays great, has great tones and the neck is perfect for me. The only problems is, it was painted from it's original yellow, to a very bad black metal flake. The headstock was also painted black, except they painted around the logo! The original Graph-tech locking nut has also been replaced by a very bulky, strange looking nut. Thankfully I've never seen one like it before! So if anyone has an old graph tech nut they want to sell, please contact me! Otherwise I will put a Floyd nut on it. I've already started taking it apart, and I'm thinking about refinishing it with Vintage White. The only mod I am doing to it is stripping the back of the neck, and going to oil it, to get the raw feel like the original Rampage. Here are some photo's, hopefully I do it correctly and they show up!

Dave
http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/GLrampage/

Re: NGD! Invader Project

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 am

Hi Dave,
nice score...one of my invaders must have had 7 different layers of paint when I received it.

If you copy the "direct link" of each picture then paste it between the "Img" tags that appear once you click on "Img" above the text box here, your pictures will show up.

Looking forward to seeing her after a little work, that kahler looks like its in excellent condition.

cheers,
Elwood

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks Elwood for the tip for posting pictures! The Kahler is in great shape. I am happy with the guitar as far as playing. The paint job was really bad! I guess it paid off for me and helped me get it for cheap! The body is completely sanded and ready to go. I'm ready to start on the neck and new logo.

I do have a question, did the Invader's come with a coil split? The humbucker switch on mine is a three way switch. So I have a coil split. I didn't know if they came standard on the Invader or if the previous owner added it.

Thanks again,
Dave

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:44 pm

All the Invaders I've had have only had a two way switch for the HB...that's a neat mod.

The locking nut looks like it might be an original Kahler , I came across another guitar with what looks like the same huge nut.
Alembic California Special

Looking forward to see your progress,
cheers

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 am

Congratulations on the Invader!

Sounds like a fun project.

I just got a Superhawk neck and body off of eBay. The back of the neck was left alone, but the front of the headstock was stripped, as was the body (which was originally pink). The previous owner had gun-oil finished the body, and I think I might leave it natural for a while.

I agree that the string lock is probably an original or repro Kahler. I've found quite a few of those, but no original G&L string locks yet. I don't know if I will ever find a three-bolt black neck plate either.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of it once you've completed it!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks for the comments! I was watching your Superhawk body and neck when it was up. That was a good find, and should be a great project. I'm really wanting my Invader to turn out well. I want it as close to original as possible, out of respect to the original builders. Btw, there is a 3 bolt neck plate on Ebay right now. It's chrome instead of black. So maybe that will be a quick fix until you can find what you are looking for.

Dave