Questions about my new SC-3

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 am

I just bought a 1990 SC-3 from a friend of mine for a good deal and I'm trying to get some more information about it. First of all it has sperzel locking tuners that were on the guitar when my friend first bought it. I know that g&l used these on some of their guitars but I can't find whether they used them on the SC-3. Are these original to the guitar? Second, the serial number dates this guitar to late 1990 and the ggjaguar sites states that G&L began using the s-500 pickups sometime in 1990 versus the skyhawk pickups in this model. How would I tell which pickups I have?

Re: Questions about my new SC-3

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:24 am

I have had two 3rd generation SC3's with Sperzel's so I do believe they were a factory option. Not sure about the pickups but that sounds about right. Do you have a meter that you can use to measure them with?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:52 am

I do have a multi-meter so an approximate range for DC resistance for the two types of pickups would be useful.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 am

Follow this link:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewforum.php?f=12

Then click on:

List of pickups used in G&L guitars (5th entry on the page)

Hope this helps. J-

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 am

Thanks jonc, I looked at that yesterday but it doesn't differentiate between the skyhawk mfd's and the s-500 mfd's whereas the ggjaguar site describes them as having a different DC resistance and subsequent output. I wonder if it would be safe to assume that if they are on the low end of 4.1-4.7k range listed they are skyhawk pickups?