Incoming G-200

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

I recently acquired this super-clean G-200. Previous owner bought it new back in the early 80's on the advice of her music teacher. She took good care of it, spending most of her time on the acoustic. Now, fortunately for me, she has gone totally acoustic. Best early Leo-era neck I've fondled... slightly larger and fuller than other models. I don't know if that's just something normal for the G-200, as this is the first one I've ever seen or played. Like my early S-500, it is full of ballsy tone and made to last. Great playability and almost no dings. No scratches. A keeper.

Jay

Re: Incoming G-200

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Stunning! I want one of those!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:36 pm

That thang looks like it was hermetically sealed! Good catch!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:44 pm

Jay, you always seem to come up with the sweetest guitars. If my G-200 is any indication, and yours is way cleaner than mine, then it will definitely be a keeper. And perhaps the G-200's being LP-like inspired the neck guys to make them fuller because the neck on my G-200 is fuller and rounder than any other Leo-era G&L I've seen. Enjoy it. It's a beaut and they sound amazing!!!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Any other G-200 owners out there? Whatcha think of 'em?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:01 pm

That's a real drooler! (I want one) ...just imagine... if only they made a new exact reissue, I may actually get my dabs on one!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Nice score, Jay! I don't know if you recall, but Josey Wales brought his G-200 to the MI jam last November. He had it out on display for quite some time. If I'm not mistaken, I think his might have had the rear-access control panel, too, but I don't remember for certain. Still, that's the only one I've ever seen or played, although, I didn't get to play it for very long.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:44 pm

The Hog on that is a beautiful colour, very nice and straight too. And look at that, G&L players don't need a plastic disc to tell them which is suggested for rhythm and which for leads :P. (Seriously what is up with that disk... I often play leads on neck and bridge, and rhythm I prefer on bridge)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Dream guitar right there...

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Could the G-200 have enough support to be a reissue or Limited Edition?
I think that a G-200 could be recreated with the modern trussrod and rear-loaded.

Drool...
ImageImage

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 am

Welcome to the club! G200s are indeed an incredible score and yours looks to be in pretty good shape. I am not sure how many more like yours are out there...but they certainly are worth searching for.
It is no secret Leo did not like G200 and it's introduction to the market was certainly not well timed. The cloud plate is...well...unique and though I love them the rear loaded beast is the better looking. But of course when obtaining a G200 beggers can not be choosers! The only short scale Leo made though it was Georges baby in reality.
It is interesting to see the market drop in these. 6K for a rear loaded example a few years ago was not unheard of and 3K plus for the front loaders was common. They have dropped now and my guess is that 2K for a decent front loader is probably tops. Who knows what the rear loaded version would fetch now?
Good score Jay! :banana:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:20 am

Hey Jay, you are one lucky person! Are you planning on playing it?

- Jos

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Jay,

Really nice. Good mahogany and color.

Those G-200's are odd looking guitars. I have grown to appreciate the "cloud plate" and the giant pick-up switch.

Nice snag,

y2kc

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Whoa! That is one of the nicest ones I've seen posted here! Never seen one in person, so they are a mystery to me.

How does it sound compared to some of your other HB guitars?

Good to hear from you!

Bill

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:26 pm

That's a great find, Jay.

It took me a while to find where you posted this guitar's picture.

I first heard about your G-200 from your post complaining about the board.

I wonder if you could post any sound clips of this guitar because most of us have never even heard one.

Thanks,

bassman Bill