Rare Comanche

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Hey guys I have this Comanche with a 1989 date tag. When I look up photos of the 1989 G&L Comanche V signature it has a different head stock and the Leo Fender Signature decal is on the body, which mine is on the head stock. Is this a 1989 Comanche V Signature? I have more photos available.

Re: Rare Comanche

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Pigeon wrote:Hey guys I have this Comanche with a 1989 date tag. When I look up photos of the 1989 G&L Comanche V signature it has a different head stock and the Leo Fender Signature decal is on the body, which mine is on the head stock. Is this a 1989 Comanche V Signature? I have more photos available.

You have a Comache Vi (non-signature) Model with the Sickle headstock. All signature models have the Leo Fender signature decal on the upper horn of the instrument. When Brad created the models for the G&L Registry, he did not created a Comanche VI selection. Perhaps it was not known at that time that there were non-signature modeIs. I will be adding the Comanche VI models to the Model list sometiime next week, so that we will have both Comanche VI and Comache VI Signature models in the G&L Registry,

One thing I noticed about your guitar is that the body wood appears to be Mahogany. We don't have any other Comanche VI models with that body wood. I don't know if this is rare or not.
Perhaps one of our knowlegdgeable members can confirm whether or not this is mahogany and if so, how many were built with this body wood. You have it listed as Swamp Ash in the Registry,
but is sure looks like Mahogany.

Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:41 am

Craig wrote:
Pigeon wrote:Hey guys I have this Comanche with a 1989 date tag. When I look up photos of the 1989 G&L Comanche V signature it has a different head stock and the Leo Fender Signature decal is on the body, which mine is on the head stock. Is this a 1989 Comanche V Signature? I have more photos available.

You have a Comache Vi (non-signature) Model with the Sickle headstock. All signature models have the Leo Fender signature decal on the upper horn of the instrument. When Brad created the models for the G&L Registry, he did not created a Comanche VI selection. Perhaps it was not known at that time that there were non-signature modeIs. I will be adding the Comanche VI models to the Model list sometiime next week, so that we will have both Comanche VI and Comache VI Signature models in the G&L Registry,

One thing I noticed about your guitar is that the body wood appears to be Mahogany. We don't have any other Comanche VI models with that body wood. I don't know if this is rare or not.
Perhaps one of our knowlegdgeable members can confirm whether or not this is mahogany and if so, how many were built with this body wood. You have it listed as Swamp Ash in the Registry,
but is sure looks like Mahogany.

Hope this helps.

It is mahogany. It also has a #3 neck. Not having the signature on the body is not that unusual. Nine of the 32 Comanche VIs listed in the registry and one Comanche VI thats listed in the Comanche section are non signature models and as Craig has mentioned, there is no other selection to put them in. There were at least four of these mahogany bodied non signature Comanche VIs built. Mahogany was not a common body wood for the Comanche in the eighties and since the four that I am aware of were built near the same time, it leads me to believe they were a special order from a dealer.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm

I also wanted to note that it is the six switch set up and add photos of the serial number. Any ideas of what this one might sell for and is this a safe place to post it for sale on? I appreciate all the help in identifying my Comanche.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Pigeon wrote:Image

I also wanted to note that it is the six switch set up and add photos of the serial number. Any ideas of what this one might sell for and is this a safe place to post it for sale on? I appreciate all the help in identifying my Comanche.

Yes, the six pickup switches makes it a Comanche VI.

I can't help you on a selling price. We do have a Marketplace for For Sale, Want Ads, Trades.
We don't allow ads to posted on the G&LDP, though. See the G&LDP Guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:45 am

I didn't know about the date tags under the older trem covers! How does this date differ from the usual body / neck dates?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:57 pm

If to me too, I wonder.
That label will be the exact date of manufacture of the instrument? :think:
I have a guitar that has that same tag back.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Is yours a Comanche also Mama Sam?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 pm

offplanetfilms wrote:I didn't know about the date tags under the older trem covers! How does this date differ from the usual body / neck dates?

good question...maybe the date tag in the back is the date of a finish being put on,
I'll have to carefully pull a neck and see if there's a difference.