Pickguard material of 1991 SC-3

Thu May 09, 2024 2:26 am

Hi,

I bought an 1991 SC-3 which has a solid (single ply) black pickguard. There are some minor cracks around one of the screw holes of the pickguard, and I would like to glue it to stop spreading. What material can that be? Probably ABS, then I could use acetone to weld it, but I'm not sure and don't want to experiment with this beauty if someone knows this.

Thanks!

P.S.: I will post photos later after I clean and set it up as it is quite an interesting SC-3.

Re: Pickguard material of 1991 SC-3

Thu May 09, 2024 7:46 am

HunGLish wrote:Hi,

I bought an 1991 SC-3 which has a solid (single ply) black pickguard. There are some minor cracks around one of the screw holes of the pickguard, and I would like to glue it to stop spreading. What material can that be? Probably ABS, then I could use acetone to weld it, but I'm not sure and don't want to experiment with this beauty if someone knows this.

Thanks!

P.S.: I will post photos later after I clean and set it up as it is quite an interesting SC-3.

Contact the original G&L supplier of pickguards - Chandler Guitars, to find out the material they use for your pickguard.
Here is the link to their G&L SC-3 pickguards: https://pickguardheaven.com/product/pg- ... -usa-sc-3/.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 09, 2024 8:26 am

I did that some days ago and I got a quick answer from Chandler Music, that they didn't made the pickguards for G&L at that time, so I should ask G&L.

Thu May 09, 2024 9:00 am

HunGLish wrote:I did that some days ago and I got a quick answer from Chandler Music, that they didn't made the pickguards for G&L at that time, so I should ask G&L.

Hm, Chandler should have made that pickguard for your 1991 SC-3. It wasn't until after 2015 that G&L started making their own pickguards.

Here is the quote from Chandler's website:
Please Note:
Beginning in 2016, we were no longer the OEM pickguard supplier to G&L, so please contact us if your guitar does not have our part number written on the back or was made after 2016.

Wed May 15, 2024 9:11 pm

I believe outsourcing to Chandler was a BBE thing… Jos might be able to shed some light on this.

Cheers,
KF