Very Early SC-2?

Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I was annotating my guitars in a personal book I have built for myself, and found a receipt for the 1st guitar that I ever owned, a G&L SC-2. After doing some research, something doesn't add up. Everywhere I've found, the SC-2 was introduced in 1983. However, my receipt shows the following:

Purchased from Minstrel Music, Niles Illinois
Date of purchase: 1/4/1982
Description:
G&L SC-2 w/vib. and case
#C05478A
#B05BL

If the receipt is correct, which I believe it is, this would make my SC-2 a 1981 model. How can this be?
Thanks!
Torsten

Re: Very Early SC-2?

Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:00 pm

torsten wrote:Hi everyone,
I was annotating my guitars in a personal book I have built for myself, and found a receipt for the 1st guitar that I ever owned, a G&L SC-2. After doing some research, something doesn't add up. Everywhere I've found, the SC-2 was introduced in 1983. However, my receipt shows the following:

Purchased from Minstrel Music, Niles Illinois
Date of purchase: 1/4/1982
Description:
G&L SC-2 w/vib. and case
#C05478A
#B05BL

If the receipt is correct, which I believe it is, this would make my SC-2 a 1981 model. How can this be?
Thanks!
Torsten

Please post photos including the serial number which should be stamped on the bridge plate.
I will asked Memo to look it up in the factory log books to get the details including the completion date.

Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:27 am

torsten PM'd me with the Serial Number and I sent it to Memo at G&L.

Here is Memo's reply on the details:

Hi Craig,
The correct information for G012198 is color is red and the neck is maple with a build date of December 15, 1982.

I am guessing that perhaps the invoice date had the wrong year on it (1982 instead of 1983).

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Got corrected body color and fretboard wood type from G&L

Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:30 pm

I really appreciate Craig taking the time to research my guitar. The build date on it is 12/15/1982, built in the 1st 3 months of this model being introduced. It's a fantastic guitar, all original including the case, except for a fret job I had done on it last year.
Cheers,
Torsten