Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:34 am

Who can tell me more about my L2000?
Forum rules
Search this topic…
Post a reply

CritiqueOblique↓
Who can tell me more about my L2000?
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 pm
Hi all, backstory with this bass as follows...

I bought this 2nd hand in 2003 from someone who bought it c. 89/90. He bought it when he joined a band - told me his band lasted about two weeks then the bass sat in its case until I bought it from him. He'd left the battery in so when I got it the battery snap was corroded - I replaced it with a spare one I had from an EMG 60. Otherwise afaik, everything else on the bass is original. I haven't taken the neck off, so best estimate of age based on serial no range on the registry is 88/89. The questions I have are...

1. What wood was used for the body?
2. What is the bridge made from? I've noticed earlier bridges have this black finish and later ones have something that looks like chrome?
3. What kind of machine heads are they? The modern G&L machine heads I've found online look quite different.
4. Any info on the finish - I can't find another old L2000 online with that particular finish - it looks like it's a common enough finish on Tribute L2000s and I've seen older ones that look similar. However, it looks like on similar finishes, the horns on the body are entirely black, whereas on mine, the amber colour goes quite far up into the horns.
5. Any info that can help date it more precisely, without taking the neck off.

I have already got a lot more info from reading the forums than I had before (e.g. like the thread about the pickups) & I apologise if any of this stuff has already been answered in other threads, but I haven't found anything so far
Thanks

Re: Help

Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:19 pm

Your best option is to contact Memo Romero, repairs@glguitars.com. Send a request with the serial number and they can look up the build data for the bass.

Re: Help

Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:17 am

Please post some photos of your bass, see this post before posting your photos: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Looking forward to seeing your L-2000 bass. :searching: