General price of a G&L cavalier

Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:56 pm

I can’t find very much info on this model and figured this would be the best place to ask. Someone is offering to trade me a 1983 G&L cavalier but I’m unsure on the actual value and there isn’t exactly much recent stuff on reverb. It’s basically in mint condition from what I can see. If someone could let me know what they think it’s worth that would be great

Re: General price of a G&L cavalier

Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:54 am

I've seen these in the $1200 to $1400 USD range.

Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:53 am

I'm no expert on the model but I suspect Dan is in the right range generally speaking.

I have seen them listed higher. Condition, color, case candy probably all factor in. Pre-amp or no pre-amp probably matters. There is a current listing asking $2,600 but who's to say what they'll actually get.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:53 am

I'll add that I bought one from Guitar Center for 899 in 2019. That was a pretty good price then (especially for GC!). I sold it privately for the same retail/dealer price in 2021, thru this forum. It didn't fly off the rack at that price, so only 2 years later, I wouldn't expect to pay that much more for one. (You see people ASKING for more, as noted above, but that's not the same thing. Unless it's a rare one. The mahogany body one [EDIT: whoops; ash body in red; thinking of the wrong one] from ggjguar's collection has been FS at Atomic Music/thru Reverb for quite some time; it is the rarer active/E version.)

Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:13 am

The Vintage Guitar 2023 Price Guide has them between $1,100 and $1,425 spending on condition. The Blue Book of Guitar Values has them between $1,075 and $1,350 for a similar range of conditions. So Dan's range is pretty much spot on as far as available tables are concerned.

Still, it all depends how good the spiel of the seller is and what a fool wants to pay for it ...

- Jos