Two rarities on Reverb now

Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:54 pm

Recent listings:
---G-200 with rear-loaded controls, the rarest of this model. Asking $3K; to compare, Carter Vintage listed a front-loaded and a rear-loaded G-200 from a well-known collector a couple of pandemic summers ago for 1800 each.

---Comanche VI in the rarer longhorn Interceptor body style, black. Asking 2.5K; only a few years ago, a cherryburst Signature VI sold for merely 1400 and some. Interested to see what the market will bear this time.

No affiliation with the sellers; just spreading the word!

Re: Two rarities on Reverb now

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:42 pm

Saw those and the Comanche VI especially is causing the trigger finger to get very itchy!….. :evilgrin:

Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:55 am

Read the fine print on the Comanche and would have to get clarification on the “cigar smoke” smell on both guitar and case.

Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:40 pm

Oh yeah, I saw that part.

I bought a Cavalier that arrived in a smoky-smelling, grimy, partly rusty case (I groaned when I saw it), and the interior smelled smoky, as did the guitar, which also had a layer of grime on the bridge and body, plus some rusty pole pieces. I pulled the bridge, removed the saddles, removed the adjustable pole pieces, soaked all in WD40, scrubbed away the grime. Took Virtuoso cleaner and then the polish to the entire guitar, which vastly improved it. After, I kept the guitar wrapped in a t-shirt and banished the case to the garage, where I kept it open. Later, I scrubbed the case's exterior to remove the grime and some of the smoke-containing stuff. After a couple of years, the odor had off-gassed; maybe a hint remained. The guitar as well had the slightest hint of odor.

I had similar results with airing out a smoky laptop case (which I use as an effects board) and a reeking smoky box for a vintage phaser. Time and air will do a lot to improve them... YMMV.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:49 pm

Probably not super rare but there is a Climax Plus on GC's used section for $750 that includes a case (no idea if original case). It looks well used in the photo but is very intriguing. One of you should buy it so I don't have to.

They also list a 1983 F-100 Series I for $999. The headstock and neck have some sweet birdseye. Serial number G012596. I'm no expert but this looks like a decent deal if you want something made when Leo was around. You can probably find a slightly better deal but this looks ok. :D

I bought a Legacy that smelled very strongly like a vape cloud. I did similar with the case open in the garage, tore the guitar apart and just wiped everything down with grain alcohol. Unfortunately I wiped off the old 600 marking on the back of the pickguard but it was an early 2000's and not real collectable anyway.

I can't smell the vape anywhere now. The vape smell wasn't as bad as cigar or cigarette smoke to me, but it was bad enough, and unexpected.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:55 pm

If the guts of the Climax are good those are fun guitars for superstrat lovers. Had an old Fender HM Strat, pink of course, :roll: that was a real rocker. Was building a parts Climax years ago but wound up selling the parts to someone on the old GLDP. They loved it.

On the smoky items. Was doing a Craigslist run for a Twin Reverb and when I got there the smoke smell just killed the deal. I’m sure the smoke smell can be removed on most items, I’m just to leery of “hoping” it will go away.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:25 pm

I venture that it's harder to avoid on old amps. If they were gigged, they were in smoky bars/restaurants/clubs, before no smoking laws existed. When I see that brown-stained grill, I know part of the history already.