Broadcaster vs ASAT Special

Wed May 10, 2023 4:42 pm

Howdy friends. Can you please tell me the differences and/or similarities between a G&L Broadcaster and a new USA ASAT Special? Cosmetically, sonically, whatever you got. Thanks very much in advance.

Re: Broadcaster vs ASAT Special

Thu May 11, 2023 9:05 am

The limited production Broadcaster only had one option. This was getting a maple neck instead of an ebony fretboard. The bodies were all maple
and of course you could get any color you wanted as long as that was black. That is a Model T reference being that I am over the hill.

Both guitars cover the same sonic territory. These are unique in the tele world. The pickups are rich, clear and thick. Very inspiring after playing normal single coils and hum buckers.

Y2kc

Thu May 11, 2023 11:50 am

y2kc wrote:The limited production Broadcaster only had one option. This was getting a maple neck instead of an ebony fretboard. The bodies were all maple
and of course you could get any color you wanted as long as that was black. That is a Model T reference being that I am over the hill.

Both guitars cover the same sonic territory. These are unique in the tele world. The pickups are rich, clear and thick. Very inspiring after playing normal single coils and hum buckers.

Y2kc

y2kc forgot about the Broadcaster bridge options: See: List of the Variations of Broadcasters from HLG and ....

We have other posts which can fill in the differences, but I have to run and will not likely be back until this evening, so I will let other members fill in the other details in the meantime.

Here are two other posts to check out:

List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA)
List of pickups used in G&L guitars

Be back later...

Thu May 11, 2023 1:03 pm

oh yeah, not my cup of tea.

Mon May 15, 2023 3:25 pm

Here is another post to check out:

pre-BBE ASAT vs. '07 ASAT Special: Differences?.

I will also add that in 2017 the Original Leo Spec Body Depth for solid-body ASAT guitars (1.625” mill-depth) option (2015-2016)
became the standard body width and is still the standard going forward.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 18, 2023 9:14 am

Just came across this post in the CLF Research sub-forum, which might be of interest to this Topic:

CLF Research: Origin of the ASAT Guitar....

Hope this helps.