Early F-100 spec question

Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:45 pm

Hi all,

One of these for sale near me, original headstock shape, through-strung hardtail, natural ash/rosewood (or ebony). # looks like G000- or G006- Every example I've seen with these early features has chrome hardware but this has crinkle bridge & control plate. GG dates this change to '84 +/-, but G&L being what they were/are I guess this might not be an iron rule.

Any thoughts?

V nice looking guitar btw, had 1 of the MFD HBs rewound but otherwise apparently original if honestly roadworn.

Thx Richard

Re: Early F-100 spec question

Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:35 pm

RichardT wrote:Hi all,

One of these for sale near me, original headstock shape, through-strung hardtail, natural ash/rosewood (or ebony). # looks like G000- or G006- Every example I've seen with these early features has chrome hardware but this has crinkle bridge & control plate. GG dates this change to '84 +/-, but G&L being what they were/are I guess this might not be an iron rule.

Any thoughts?

V nice looking guitar btw, had 1 of the MFD HBs rewound but otherwise apparently original if honestly roadworn.

Thx Richard

You mention Greg G dates this change to '84 and shows his photo (unusual transitional example with old style body and string-through-body Locktight bridge). He also mentions that the body style changed at that time too.
Please post some photos of yours.

You should contact Memo Romero [G&L Service Manager] and ask him to look up the serial number of yours in the factory logs. He can tell you the completion date.
His email address is: repairs@glguitars.com.

Hope this helps and look forward to see your guitar.

Re: Early F-100 spec question

Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:59 pm

My 1983 F-100 has a black crinkle control plate with the original paddle headstock.