Trem touches backplate on '91 S500 signature

Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:49 am

I have a question about the tremolo in my '91 S500 signature.
It was set really low and it didn't seem to float proberly so when I removed the backplate I discovered that the springs touch the backplate. I can st the two posts higher to gain some space but still not really enough.

This is the trem set a bit higher but still not much space in the back:

I also discovered that the springs in the s500 are way thicker than the ones in my Doheny V12:

Is the long trem block original? do you guys have some ideas on that?
Her the whole beauty:

Re: Trem touches backplate on '91 S500 signature

Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:44 pm

That all black makes for a sweet looking S-500! The spec for the bridge height is 3/16 inch from the top of the body to the base of the bridge plate. It looks as if the bridge might be less high than that. Try raising it some more and see if that lowers the tremolo block and the springs to below the back plate.

EDIT: Measuring a 1990 Comanche, which should be the same in parts, etc., assuming the same body thickness: the Comanche measures 1-9/16 inch actual body depth:
With the bridge set per spec above, the bottom of the tremolo block is 5/32 inches from the bottom of the back plate. The springs clearance is about 3/32 inches.
Note that most DFV trems that I've seen have felt bushing(s) on each of the two bolts, between the bottom of the bridge plate and the top of the body. I can't tell from the photo if your guitar does.

See also set up instructions for vibrato guitars in the Owner's Manual, Version 2 in the Gallery (starting on image 6): http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=10418

Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:32 pm

From the pictures it looks like your tremolo is flush to the pickguard. Those 3-ply pickguards are 3/32" thick (correct me if I am wrong).

The spec is for the tremolo to float 3/16" off the body, so it should be floating above the pickguard by about the same height as the pickguard is thick.

In the past I've used stacked business cards taped together (and precisely measured) a 3/16" spacer. It's much easier that eyeballing it.

Anyway, that would give you back 3/32" in the tremolo cavity which might/should be enough, assuming the springs are all original.

Once you do that, probably want to give it a full setup, as that'll change your intonation, and the distance between the pickups and the strings.

On another note: That is a sweet looking guitar.

Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:35 am

Thank you guys a lot - I will try to set it up with the correct height and continue from there..

Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:05 pm

Gutmann wrote:Thank you guys a lot - I will try to set it up with the correct height and continue from there..

:sign0011:

Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:49 pm

Here another pic:

and with all the case candy:

I bought it used but it is in mint condition..

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 am

DanDoulogos wrote:From the pictures it looks like your tremolo is flush to the pickguard. Those 3-ply pickguards are 3/32" thick (correct me if I am wrong).

The spec is for the tremolo to float 3/16" off the body, so it should be floating above the pickguard by about the same height as the pickguard is thick.

In the past I've used stacked business cards taped together (and precisely measured) a 3/16" spacer. It's much easier that eyeballing it.

Another easy way to gauge the correct trem height is to use a 3/16 hex key ('Allen key'); get one that maintains the hex profile all along its length. Set the bridge a touch above 3/16", sit the hex key on the guitar's body with its tip under the bridge, then lower the bridge until it barely touches the hex key. Fine-tune the height from there, checking each end of the bridge (use the hex key like a feeler-gauge).

This is my first post for ages (haven't posted much anyway, but...), as I haven't been able to log-in for a while but my tablet has suddenly auto-remembered my log-in detail. I'll try and add a bit more to the forum now that I am able.

Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:04 pm

Allen Key is a good idea. I will try it once I get my extra spring I need for the F-100 I just picked up.