F-100 aftermarket pick guard

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 pm

I am considering having a look at an F-100 for sale somewhat locally . From what I can gather , the pick guard on this instrument seems to be different from the few examples I have seen from this era. I like the look of it , I would just like to know if anybody has seen something similar.

gl-100-series
Last edited by Craig on Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin fixed link with nturl= BBcode

Re: F-100 aftermarket pick guard

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:47 pm

The pickguard is not original to the guitar. The F-100 did not come with a pickguard from the factory. The example you are looking at also has had the knobs replaced and the nut has been changed.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:41 pm

Completely missed that the knobs have been changed, good eye. This one would need some work it looks like.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:17 am

Might be worth checking out and seeing if the wiring functions as it should. That would be my biggest concern is the wiring and components on the inside.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:12 am

I found this post:
f100 with Pickgaurds?
Unfortunately most of the photo links are no longer available.

What caught my eye was Fred Finisher's posts:

Author: Fred Finisher [ Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am ]
Post subject: Re: f100 with Pickgaurds?
Starbucker,
Not too long ago I saw an F-100 with a pickguard in a picture either on this board or Ebay and I thought it was an addition done by the owner. Shortly thereafter, as I was sifting through some of my photos, I found what looked like the exact same guitar with the pickguard installed. I could not remember why I had the picture, but it was an early F-100 and I don't believe that I made the guard. It is possible that we made a couple of these by request since the guitar was not offered with a guard. I will look for the photo tonight and see if I can post it. This also might have been made to show at NAMM to see if there was any interest.
Fred

Author: Fred Finisher [ Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm ]
Post subject: Re: f100 with Pickgaurds?
Starbucker,
I found the pictures I mentioned before. The picture I have is of a series 2 candy apple red F 100 with a maple neck and a hardtail bridge. The pickguard is small, similar to an old Melody Maker. In this picture the guard has a sticker on it that I believe is the instructions to remove the plastic protective film. I'll try tomorrow to post these pics,
Fred

However, Fred was not able to post the photo.

Fred's description of that F-100 at the factory is not the same as one in question in this post.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:21 am

Thank you for the responses . Challenger, if the seller gets back to me I may make the drive to go check out the guitar. You caught some things I missed and the wiring check is a good suggestion. Craig, I also missed that thread on the F-100 pickguards thank you ! Excellent forum. Maybe Fred saw something like this example.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1771/ ... 1626498666
This one is a smaller guard . It looks good too.