What came first: Saddle Lock or DFV?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:46 am

I'm guessing the saddle lock, but I haven't read it anywhere for sure. So?

This is a link to the search I did here: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45&hilit=what+came+first+dual+fulcrum+or+saddle+lock

Thanks.

Re: What came first: Saddle Lock or DFV?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm guessing they came out about the same time. The Saddle Lock has obvious roots in the bridge used on the Music Man Sabre guitars. I seem to recall that the DF Vibrato was available on G&Ls right from the start. One of my friends in Tacoma had one of the very first F-100s, but I always like the Sabre better, though at times I wished it had a vibrato.

Bill

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Actually, the saddle lock was a name change. It used to be called the lock tight bridge.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:47 am

The links listed below download the patents and descriptions as PDF files.

According to my records, US patent 4281576 for a bridge that looks like the Saddle Lock Bridge was filed October 29, 1979 and granted August 4, 1981. This bridge assembly does not show the side screw pushing all barrels together. But that feature shows up in Description 269,440 filed May 26, 1981 and published June 21, 1983. The only thing I could find on the DFV is Description 268,845, filed July 1, 1980 and published May 3, 1983. So chronologically, the Saddle Lock would come first. But that doesn't mean a thing as far as what got applied first in production where, from Boogie Bills answer, it would be the DFV.

For what it's worth.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks. It looks great with the Hipshot B-bender added too.