Broadcaster finish worries - Help Needed!!!

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm getting a cloudy build up on the upper back end of my Broadcaster (where my forearm rests). I usually wipe it down after playing, but evidently not well enough lately. The last few times I've played it, even though we were inside, it was pretty hot on stage and it got a pretty good amount of sweat on it. Now I'm worried its damaged the finish. My Dunlop spray doesn't cut through the stuff and I'm hesitant to try anything else for fear of damaging it further. Anybody got any ideas on this? I'm hoping it really dirty and needs something stronger (fingers crossed) but I'm worried its more severe and I've done something that can't be reveresed.

I know that the beatup ASAT look is pretty cool - and I generally like it - but not on my Broadcaster!!! :D

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Videoguy

Re: Broadcaster finish worries - Help Needed!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:56 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Many years ago, a well-respected luthier told me to use on guitars Meguiar's (yes, the car polish) liquid polishes on guitars. I thought he was joking but I noticed he used it in the shop on vintage instruments. He'd remove sweat, grime, and wear and tear an instrument always gets ~ use their cleaner wax. He said that being a liquid it's gentle on guitar finishes and works. He would then use the gold class liquid wax which he said would really brings back the color and looks really good and protects the finish. I decided to give it a shot on an older Fender I had and man it worked like a charm! That's my two cents.
:)
Tim

Tim is right. Any Luthier will tell you Meguiar's Cleaner is a better product to remove that fog rather than the standard guitar polishes. It's one of our long lost Gabe's favorite fixes followed up with 3M's Imperial Microfinishing Compound Liquid. Your local Auto Zone will have the Meguiars but you have to get the 3M product from an automotive paint supply store. These two products used together will not hurt that pretty black finish.
Hey Tim, hasn't anyone told you that yellow font colour is hard to read?

Re: Broadcaster finish worries - Help Needed!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:37 am

Thank you both for the input - I'll go find those ASAP! Don't want it to go unchecked for long... ;)

Videoguy