Looking for 1981 F-100 II Control plate template?

Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:27 pm

Greetings,
I have a 1981 F-100 II and the metal control plate is microphonic, i.e. to say in an other way,
any switch change or maxing out a vol. or tone control (hitting the fully open position)
results in a click / thud noise making it's way through the output to the recording input of my DAW.

Tapping on the metal plate with the tip of my pick also makes an audible sound in my DAW.

Rather than replacing every component on the plate one by one to track the problem it seems to me that
just making a new control plate out of normal (non metalic) pick guard material might be a better way to go.

So, does anyone have a printable and to scale template that I could use to make a new control plate?

Thank you!

Steve

Re: Looking for 1981 F-100 II Control plate template?

Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:54 pm

I doubt the plate is the issue. I would check to make sure that all the grounds are good.

Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:19 pm

Thanks - noted.
It's not a major issue.
If I'm not switching anything, or if I'm moving the vol. control with out hitting the fully open position, there are no noises.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:02 pm

Steve_Karl wrote:Thanks - noted.
It's not a major issue.
If I'm not switching anything, or if I'm moving the vol. control with out hitting the fully open position, there are no noises.

I agree with Tooslowhand's post. :thumbup:

Check our GbL Gallery->Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics->F-100 Wiring Schematics and Picture Diagrams.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:29 pm

Craig wrote:
Check our GbL Gallery->Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics->F-100 Wiring Schematics and Picture Diagrams.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Oh. F.Y.I - my brother has the same year F-100 II - these, his and mine, are not active - no battery
and
I called him on the phone and asked him to test his F-100 II the same way I experience my noises,
and
his metal control plate is also microphonic.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:32 pm

Do either of you own of have access to an early 80s F-100 II (passive electronics)?

I have an other coming to me in the mail and I suspect I will probably find the same issue with that recent purchase.
I'll report back.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:22 am

I do not. Note that old electronic components, especially electrolytic filled capacitors can dry out and get noisy as you describe. You could lift the plate off the guitar and tap on the various components, while also examining the grounding.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:23 pm

I have a passive F100 II, currently in my brother's care but I can get it back next week.
I don't recall having any issues with it but it is 41 years old.

I'll let you know what I find out.

TJ

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone.

I'll try tapping individual components with the plate lifted.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:17 pm

Also, take a look at the pickups and see if they might need to be re-potted or repaired.
Some reference posts:
My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions?
How do I fix MFD bridge pickup squealing problem?