F-100 questions

Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:54 pm

I have an F-100 on the way, an early Series I with the serial stamped into the bridge plate.

It has a couple of unusual features, including original G&L tuners with a single screw and a nice birdseye neck with no skunk stripe. I understand that other examples exist with these tuners and no skunk stripe, but they seem to be relatively rare. Is there any pattern to when they show up (e.g. they made a batch in 1981)?

Image Image

Re: F-100 questions

Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:39 pm

hi Oldfrets, nice looking F100.
I own an '81 series 1 (12 inch radius fretboard), has skunk stripe on the neck, and schaller (i think) tuners with no "G&L" on them.
Yours seems to have a black plastic control plate (or black krinkle on metal) (the '81's had chrome), and no skunk stripe, the year would more likely be '82-'84.
You can confirm neck and body dates when you get it. Show us a few more pics when you get it.

Re: F-100 questions

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi there,

The tuning machines with tabs were used already at end of 1981 while the skunk stripe was still used on the G-200 associated with the aforementioned link as well as the F-100. AFAIK, the Bi-Cut neck you find on your guitar was introduced in (October) 1982. You can check the date stamp on your neck heel (if present) to date your neck properly. Let us know what you find.

- Jos