Interesting Bridge. Looking for JOS

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Hi all,
I am hopping that Jos eventually sees this post and replies either publicly or on the DM side of things.
I picked up this rare dual fulcrum Pat. Pending bridge in like new condition (if there is something in "like new" condition from 1984) about five years ago. for $350.00. See the pics below.
I was recently approached by the original seller to see if I still had it and would I like to sell it back to him. (I really don't) but I threw an outrageous price of $1000.00 out there and he has basically accepted it and wants me to put it on reverb.

What do you guys think? Jos, Any advice. This thing is in pretty awesome shape.

Image. Image

Re: Interesting Bridge. Looking for JOS

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:03 pm

Happy New Year!

I am not sure I understand your post. The guy will pay $1000.00 for that?

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:19 pm

Hey Tom,

All I have on the Leo Fender Vibrato can be found here. This is the 1st generation version which got to market in 1987. It is unlikely your year of 1984 is correct. The relevant patent for this LFV (Pat. No. 4,674,389) was files on June 11, 1986 and awarded on June 23, 1987 and the subsequent 2 generation have the patent number stamped on the plate. Note the figure on the frontispiece of this patent (and later shown as Fig. 13) uses springs to push back the lever as is visible on your version. Another, Pat. No. 4,724,737, was filed 4 months earlier but awarded 8 months later and the figure on its frontispiece (Fig. 9 later on) has no springs but uses the string tension as the restoring force. The amount of $1,000 is nothing to sneeze at but then again, I do not know who that seller/buyer is. If you sell it (and why not), I hope it will be used on a good project and not parted out. Because at times, people need screws, springs, etc. etc. to make their instrument whole.

- Jos

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:59 pm

Thanks Jos and yes Y2K, I was offered $1K for this bridge. From the guy I bought it from 4 or 5 years ago.
Still not sure if he legit wants to pay that much but what the heck, it would be a nice price to sell it for.
I need to seriously think about what Jos said about a parts situation. I think he is looking to use it as a "Parts" guitar, but a G&L build and not necessarily a Franken Guitar if you will.

I will try to keep you all posted about this rare G&L artifact when things go down.

Thanks much Jos,

Tom

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:02 pm

y2kc wrote:Happy New Year!

I am not sure I understand your post. The guy will pay $1000.00 for that?

I believe this bridge in it's condition is worth $1K. You never see a complete one for sale. Ever. But I did, and grabbed it up for a good price a few years back..

Tom

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 pm

Dave posted this on the CLF Research facebook page on Friday:

by Leo Fender - a rare Dual Fulcrum vibrato with fine tuners in Leo’s lab. Thinking about using this ‘80s machine on a project

It will be interesting to see what new prototype he comes up with and if it comes to fruition as a CLF Research model with that bridge. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm

Here is a 1987 Ad Slick in our Gallery:

1987 Leo Fender Fine Tuner Vibrato Ad Slick

Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:19 pm

Craig wrote:Dave posted this on the CLF Research facebook page on Friday:

by Leo Fender - a rare Dual Fulcrum vibrato with fine tuners in Leo’s lab. Thinking about using this ‘80s machine on a project

It will be interesting to see what new prototype he comes up with and if it comes to fruition as a CLF Research model with that bridge. :thumbup:

This bridge is very rare indeed. Mine is even rarer. I was able to sell it for the price I was asking. Kind of sad to see it go since it's such a noble piece of G&L history. But alas, I cannot build guitars so I have no actual use for it and the buyer intends to use it in a G&L body build. So I let it go. I could have hung on to it and never find a buyer especially for that price compared to what I paid. Or, I could probably get a hundred bucks for each screw and who knows how much for the rest of it as parts. Could have totaled more than I sold it for if done as each part.

So away it goes to a new project. I hope the guy that bought it keeps me up to speed on what he does with it. If so I will post more when I get updates.

Tom