Dale Hyatt NAMM Interview

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:09 am

[video][/video]Thought I'd post this as many folks probably haven't seen it.... at least the full version. I find it enjoyable and very interesting. Dale comes across as a straight shooter, kind and IMO a good judge of character. No doubt all his years in sales honed his instincts to a great degree.

Scroll down and select Full interview. If the link doesn't work, cut and paste it into the address bar or simply google 'Dale Hyatt NAMM'

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/dale-hyatt

Cheers,
KF

Re: Dale Hyatt NAMM Interview

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:34 pm

Katefan
Thanks for posting that video. Wow, I have even more respect for Dale than ever before. A workhorse and company man. Selling cars or guitars.
Life is tough and it sounds like Dale paid his dues.Rest in peace.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:10 pm

You're welcome Casey, glad you dug it. Indeed, interesting that he was with Leo near the beginning, in the the middle years and at the very end. I like that Dale had great respect and loyalty for Leo tho he wasn't afraid to speak his mind. I got a kick out of Dale's take on Pre-BBE. A fair assessment in my book. Definitely was the end of an era when Dale retired.
Cool story -
A buddy of mine visited the plant in the late 80's and had the pleasure of meeting Dale. He brought with him an early F-100E that he purchased used a few days prior at Guitar Center. The trem arm was missing and the guitar would only operate in the passive mode. Dale told him to take one of the guitars that was hanging on wall in the front room and get comfortable on the couch. Dale came back a bit later and shared that the op amp was installed backwards in the socket. He had it replaced it with another and got it working again. My buddy also inquired about getting a replacement trem arm. Dale informed him that specs had changed and were larger in diameter as well as the socket they fitted into.
No worries tho, he would have new one retrofitted along with a new arm. My buddy said Dale charged him $5 total for the works.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Katefan thanks, great stuff. Very interesting to hear the states he started off with. (No I won’t tell, those who haven’t listened you’ll have to tune in yerself! ) :evilgrin:

Would love to find more interviews from him and Leo.

Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 am

Sure Sam, glad you enjoyed it. That must have been a heck of a hustle esp once he 'inherited' 2 more from Tommy Walker.
I hear you, there doesn't seem to be much caught on film or tape so I was stoked to find this full interview.

Cheers,
KF

Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:06 am

The first time I talked to Dale was in the late 80's. I called the factory, because back then that was how we communicated, and a guy named Dale answered the phone. His enthusiasm led me to believe I was talking to a much younger person. I told him I was interested in G&L guitars and that I had not seen many here in Chicago.
He was a little bit like a car salesman and was determined to sell. Many years and a few G&L's later we connected again via email and telephone. He was still young beyond his years and all about his guitars. A good guy.