What Leo era G&L are you playing these days?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:48 am

These old guitars are so nice. When set up and strung with a set of my favorite strings, these guitars are perfect. Well perfect for me.
Right now I am playing a first edition Asat 3.
This guitar was re-fretted by Joe Campagne here in Chicago at least ten years ago and then my attention derailed by other guitars. What was I thinking?
The guitar plays like really nicely and Leo's pick-ups check all the boxes for single coil sweetness.
Polished the frets, fed the ebony and my gosh this is a pleasure to play. D'Addario 46-10's

My little set up for home is simple. A 70's Champ with upgraded speaker, Dunlap wah, Keeley Reverb and a Full Drive 2. Not in that order.

It is amazing how nice a champ can sound with just a little bit of the right pedals.

So if you are reading this and dig these old G&L's like I do, let us know WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING?.

I would really like to ad photos of my guitars but this site does not allow that as easily as other forums I belong to.
We have more than our share of these cool old G&L's and would show them off if this site would move to an "in house"
format for picture sharing. It is 2021. Just sayin.

Re: What Leo era G&L are you playing these days?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:28 am

y2kc wrote:I would really like to ad photos of my guitars but this site does not allow that as easily as other forums I belong to.
We have more than our share of these cool old G&L's and would show them off if this site would move to an "in house"
format for picture sharing. It is 2021. Just sayin.

See this post: Tutorial: Posting photos.

With the update to the new Gallery
on guitarsbyleo.com, you can now upload G&L images to your own photo album and
then post them here on the G&LDP. We do ask that you limit the photos you upload to
G&L instrument images, as we do have a limited amount of disk space. For details on the
Registered Users Gallery, take a look at the Registered Users Gallery.

Hope this helps.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 am

Not sure why the method for posting photos suggested doesn't work for me. I am surely missing something and will figure it out. I drop them in from my photos and then there is just photo of a guitar and no way to send it with the post.

My post and question - What Leo era G&L are you playing? Anybody?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:16 pm

I play a 1990 Candy Apple Red ASAT (now they call it a ASAT Special). Original owner. It's been refretted twice. I play it alot!!! It is my desert island guitar.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:50 pm

Will have to post pics later. My 1988 Blonde ASAT is one of my “go to” guitars. Fits and feels just right in my hands and those big MFD’s are music to my ears. Been mainly running through a modded ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue with a compressor and a little delay.

With other Leo era guitars available this one always calls. It was my second G&L and got in 93-94 so that could be part of it. The new models are cool as well, but gotta show love to all the “early” models! :thumbup:

Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:57 pm

crappy picture, but here she is. Has more wear than the picture shows

Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 am

Thank goodness Leo decided to go back to a timeless design and give us the Asat. I do not have a "Classic" currently and I am always on the look for an early one. Had one
and traded it.
The "T" shaped guitar is as popular as ever with builders.Everyone has their take.These are the real deal.
Thanks for responding.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:27 am

here's the sister to SAM's ASAT, my 1989 blonde. has an October '88 body date and Jan '89 neck date.
recently I made a bid on a single owner broadcaster which was turned down, and someone else scored that shortly after.
my plan was to sell this ASAT if I was successful to help cover the cost. after I made the offer I sat with this one and played it for a couple hours, and said "what have I done?". it plays and sounds so beautifully, no way I'd want to part with it. I was relieved when my offer was declined!
I scored this one from Chicago Music Exchange in early 2017. I love the clash of the blonde finish, the black hardware and the rosewood board.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:36 am

I play my '91 ASAT Signature, Cherry Burst, Rosewood board, 7 1/4 inch neck radius. Ordered new, it was my first electric guitar and, I was told, hand delivered by Dale Hyatt to the dealer I bought if from. It is strung with 5 strings and tuned in open G for my favorite Rolling Stones songs. It works really well for that. Unfortunately it has become a bit difficult to play lately and I am trying to decide if I should tackle the necessary adjustments myself or take it in. I always wonder if folks know how to deal with the tilt adjust neck, though I think the fellow I go to was an original G&L dealer in the day.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Hey John, Yes we do have brothers from a different mother. Great looker ya got! :luv:

Slowhand, I’m sure there’s all kinds of stuff in the knowledge base. When it gets too deep or time consuming I usually “go to the guy”.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:43 am

The Asat with black crinkled parts looks very modern and contemporary to this day. What a great design.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:I play my '91 ASAT Signature, Cherry Burst, Rosewood board, 7 1/4 inch neck radius. Ordered new, it was my first electric guitar and, I was told, hand delivered by Dale Hyatt to the dealer I bought if from. It is strung with 5 strings and tuned in open G for my favorite Rolling Stones songs. It works really well for that. Unfortunately it has become a bit difficult to play lately and I am trying to decide if I should tackle the necessary adjustments myself or take it in. I always wonder if folks know how to deal with the tilt adjust neck, though I think the fellow I go to was an original G&L dealer in the day.

Check out the G&L Owner's Manual Version 2 in our Gallery->Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics->Album: Owner's Manual, Version 2 (1988-2008). It is a good starting point and then tweek from there to your own preferences.

BTW, G&L's #2 neck radius is 7.5" not 7.25". See: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?

Hope this helps.

Where's the photos, otherwise they don't exist. ;) :searching:

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Thanks Craig. I had already downloaded the setup instructions, have all the necessary tools, and it doesn't look difficult to accomplish. However I fear that as soon as I touch the truss rod bullet it will shear and I'll be hosed. I'll give it a shot though.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Sweet looking ASATs, guys. They're making feel an urge for a Saddle Lock Bridge guitar.

I only have two from the era. The Asat I've posted before and the Skyhawk in my avatar. When I first bought the Skyhawk about 7 years ago it was getting played lots; these days I only seem to play it about every 4-6 weeks. Enough to keep the pots working at least. It came from Dale's collection and is a very nice guitar. Fun to play and feels/looks really top shelf in person.

Here's some of the documentation that came with the guitar.

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:34 am

That is a beauty!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:41 am

john o wrote:recently I made a bid on a single owner broadcaster which was turned down, and someone else scored that shortly after.

Which Broadcaster did you bid on? I bought the one with the chemical burns on the neck from crappy guitar stands...

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Been some time since I've posted here... as Casey pointed out, the method of posting pics played a factor tho I am grateful for Craig for mentioning uploading to the gallery.
Got a new #1 as of late.... sorta reminiscent of my old #1 that now resides with another forum member...

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Hey Katefan,

Great to see you again and that one’s another winner. :thumbup:

Always good to find a new replacement of an old favorite!

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:04 am

Cheers Sam!

Indeed. The stars aligned on this one. Browsing on eBay and spotted it at a nice price. Pretty much ticks all the boxes for me, Light and lively with a nice chime.
It was bought as a 'collector guitar' shortly after Leo's passing and spent most of its life in the case in a closet so needless to say it hasn't seen much playing time. Other than heaps of weather checking and some small dings, it appeared NOS upon it's arrival. That is quickly changing.... no worry tho, it was meant to be played.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:06 am

Katefan!

That looks like a much cleaner 'Char'! Snazzy!!

- Jos

P.S. Good to hear from you and hope you are doing well!
P.P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:29 pm

Cheers Jos!

Yes, definitely. Could be her sister from another mister ; )
Like Char, she has a nice larger neck profile... somewhat less chunky tho : ( Char is definitely one of a kind!
Cheers, I am. Southern Florida's climate suits me nicely and reminds me of NZ & OZ.
Hope you and your wife are enjoying a nice holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers,
KF

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:33 am

I do like seeing these cool guitars.
The Asat III I am playing is a blast. I recently changed the strings from 10 gauge to 9.5. The lighter D'Addario strings have been slowly finding their way on to all my guitars.
Very comfortable strings for aging hands.I have a Heritage H-357 that still has tens on it and they will stay on that guitar. Easy to play and monster tone.
The 9.5's tone is fine and you can do whatever you want with it. The ease of play is inspiring and less fatiguing. The views are purely the ramblings of an old man.
Big winds here last night in Chi Town and I am waiting for the siding guy to show up. I am glad I was not out last night.