Low Serial Number Broadcaster

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:03 am

If Dale Hyatt kept number 2 and George Fullerton got number 3, who had number 1 originally?

Re: Low Serial Number Broadcaster

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:20 pm

oemexp wrote:If Dale Hyatt kept number 2 and George Fullerton got number 3, who had number 1 originally?

Hmm, I thought that this post (which you previously responded to ) covered who (Mark St. John) was the original owner. Am I missing something after re-reading the thread?

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:56 pm

Yes, it's possible that we are all missing something or several things:

1) I have that Mark St. John information written down but I had totally forgotten that it came from that thread so I was and still do wonder about the authenticity of that story and where it came from.
2) Mark St John was in KISS for 8 months in 1984 and had hit and miss success after that so its really hard for me to believe Dale gave it to him as part of a promotion in 1986. The "didn't work out" part might be a match. The rest, not so much.

It's just possible that there were other people at G&L during those years or former owners of the guitar who might know something that we don't which is why I posted the question. If so, it would be good to hear back on this guitar. Hope that happens.

Mark
Last edited by oemexp on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:19 pm

HLG wrote in 2010, at a time BC00001 was sitting locked in a southern California storage:

"Right you are Tim!
All of which are highly desirable but there can be only one Holy Grail...or maybe two.
The G&L Broadcaster no doubt is on the list. But which one? During the one year production run of Broadcasters in 1985 through 1986, there were seven different variations made. George Fullerton had the #3, Dale Hyatt had a few, including #2, Leo had a one of a kind built for show, Roy Clark owns the one he used on his Russian tour. Can't have 869 Holy Grails. But which one? Let me look through my folders and I'll get back with some.
A little FYI. Dale Hyatt presented BC00001 to a major celebrity back in 1986. Thought the exposure would be good.
The guitar was found in a pawn shop butchered.

So out of all the "major celebrities" Dale Hyatt knew and could have approached, we are supposed to believe it was Mark St. John??? Again, additional information would be great.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:26 am

What number did Carl Perkins have?

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:54 am

I never heard of Mark St. John before becoming a G&L enthusiast (I stopped listening to KISS in the late 70's).
I've seen a custom airbrushed (with a white tiger) Rampage that was said to have been his.
So he might have been one of those guys who knew someone at G&L, was touring...and developed a
complimentary relationship.
This was the 80's afterall. G&L also had a relationship with QuarterFlash :roll:

Edit: so little on the net about him...Here's a vid from '86 with what looks like
a FR equipped rampage. Sorta hard to tell. I agree there were better players out there who
might have helped with G&L's sales.

phpBB [video]

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:55 pm

That video is a great find. It further validates my question. Even Quarterflash would be a step up!

The KISS members allegedly fired him because they felt he could never play the same thing twice the same way. I think this video speaks volumes about that and it gives a lot of clues as to why. Random non-stop shredding. Maybe Dale saw him as the next Eddie Van Halen. What makes more sense is that he would give it to the real EVH or Johnny Cash or many others who I'm sure he knew quite well.

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 am

oemexp wrote: Even Quarterflash would be a step up!

LOL... that's for sure.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:46 am

I thought it was Leo that gave BC001 away. Perhaps to Mark St. John...

Tom