1991 s-500 replacement pickguards

Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 am

Hi everyone! I have a 1991 s-500 and want to make it a dual humbucker set up on that guitar. Like the legacy dual humbucker set up like on the Legacy HH model. (Don't worry I already routed it out to a swimming pool route a long time ago in order to try different pickups.) Just need for a new pickguard to fit on the 91 s-500 and hoping I won't have to unload the pickguard and send it to any one so they can duplicate it's size.

I found pickguard heaven and pickguard planet which see to be the same company - Chandler Music. At least they have the same pictures. I talked with a lady on the phone who seemed fairly knowledgeable about the subject and she said they only started making the pickguards for G&L in 93 so she wasn't sure if they had the right size. Wanted me to send my pickguard to them to duplicate it.

She mentioned something about a company "down the road" who was making the pickguards in '91.

Does anyone know who that company was? Or do you know anyone who can do this job for me without me unloading my current pickguard?

Thanks ahead of time. Wes

Re: 1991 s-500 replacement pickguards

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:11 pm

texwestamps wrote:Hi everyone! I have a 1991 s-500 and want to make it a dual humbucker set up on that guitar. Like the legacy dual humbucker set up like on the Legacy HH model. (Don't worry I already routed it out to a swimming pool route a long time ago in order to try different pickups.) Just need for a new pickguard to fit on the 91 s-500 and hoping I won't have to unload the pickguard and send it to any one so they can duplicate it's size.

I found pickguard heaven and pickguard planet which see to be the same company - Chandler Music. At least they have the same pictures. I talked with a lady on the phone who seemed fairly knowledgeable about the subject and she said they only started making the pickguards for G&L in 93 so she wasn't sure if they had the right size. Wanted me to send my pickguard to them to duplicate it.

She mentioned something about a company "down the road" who was making the pickguards in '91.

Does anyone know who that company was? Or do you know anyone who can do this job for me without me unloading my current pickguard?

I only know of Chandler being the supplier of G&L pickguards until G&L started making their own (beginning in early 2016).

Please post a photo of your S-500 body, so we can comfirm that it has the same body style as the Legacy (it should).
If so, you should be able to order the Legacy HH style pickguard from Chandler: usa-legacy-2-hum.
and it should fit (though it might need some trimming around the neck). If it does not fit you should be able to return it for a refund, but check with them first.

Hope this helps.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Craig wrote:
texwestamps wrote:Hi everyone! I have a 1991 s-500 and want to make it a dual humbucker set up on that guitar. Like the legacy dual humbucker set up like on the Legacy HH model. (Don't worry I already routed it out to a swimming pool route a long time ago in order to try different pickups.) Just need for a new pickguard to fit on the 91 s-500 and hoping I won't have to unload the pickguard and send it to any one so they can duplicate it's size.

I only know of Chandler being the supplier of G&L pickguards until G&L started making their own (beginning in early 2016).

Please post a photo of your S-500 body, so we can comfirm that it has the same body style as the Legacy (it should).
If so, you should be able to order the Legacy HH style pickguard from Chandler: usa-legacy-2-hum.
and it should fit (though it might need some trimming around the neck). If it does not fit you should be able to return it for a refund, but check with them first.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Craig picture below

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm

Well unfortunately can't figure out how to attach a photo. Do you have to use some sort of image hosting website?

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:49 pm

Okay here's a link to when I once tried to sell this guitar. Lots of pics there. Thanks

https://reverb.com/item/19235118-1991-g ... sa-vintage

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Not sure that link works so let's try this one

https://images.app.goo.gl/irjwjmzBhhSk3fbM8

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:50 pm

howdy, see this link about the photos posting thing!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10450

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks John and Craig. Both of those links I shared seem to work. I checked the guitar photo registry for photo hosting but I have to re-register again to use it.

Hopefully you can help me. thanks again

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:40 pm

texwestamps wrote:Thanks John and Craig. Both of those links I shared seem to work. I checked the guitar photo registry for photo hosting but I have to re-register again to use it.

Hopefully you can help me. thanks again

Not a re-registration but new registration on the GbL Gallery page, here's the link to use:
GbL Gallery Registration.

Reference post: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:36 pm

Okay I registered for the gallery and I'm waiting for it to be approved. But those links that I have shared are links that take you to photos of my actual guitar.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:26 pm

texwestamps wrote:Okay I registered for the gallery and I'm waiting for it to be approved. But those links that I have shared are links that take you to photos of my actual guitar.

I have approved your Gallery registration.

The links you shared do not open in our forum, here's why:
IMPORTANT- Posting External Links: BEFORE you post any external link, you must check the link
using the instructions in this post: How to check links using the urlvoid website.
Note that https links will not open directly on our forums. See: Added new BBCode for opening url link in a new tab ....

Reference post: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 pm

OK I finally figured out how to post a photo LOL

It's 1991 S-500 signature. The lady at Chandler said that they only started making pickguards for G&L back in 1993.

So were the pickguards the same size back in 1991?

What I'm wanting to do is mount two humbuckers like a Legacy HH.

They have the Legacy HH pickguard on the Chandler website. So wondering if it will fit on this s-500.

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:06 pm

I would buy a Legacy HH pickguard from Chandler and ask them to deliver it without the attachment screw holes on the border. Then you can transfer the locations, drill and countersink your own holes to attach it. Or you could trace the current pickguard for the attachment hole locations only and send it to Chandler for them to transfer after cutting the pickguard.