Help with vibrato bar fit please

Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:33 pm

Recently joined. I just purchased my first G&L. It’s a 1990 ASAT in Blonde. Has the “By Leo Fender” in white on the headstock, 3 bolt neck, and black powder coated pickguard. Also has the DF Vibrato.
I have searched all over trying to find info before I bought it and haven’t found a single other ASAT from this time period with a Dual Fulcrum Vibrato. Every one I see has a fixed bridge. It seems like that was the standard back then. Just curious if I picked up something special. Love the guitar either way!
Last edited by Jeffz on Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Is this rare?

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Yes, comparatively rare. For example, see this page from the great resource of ggjaguar.com: http://www.ggjaguar.com/asat-89.htm. More knowledgeable members might chime in with percentages? But DF vibrato ASATs from that era are uncommon.

The website of this forum's Yowhatshakin also is a trove of information: http://yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatsshakin/My_Guitar_and_Bass_Collection.html

Also, you can search this website's Registry page specifically for ASAT Signature models with the saddle lock bridge and those with the DF vibrato bridge, and compare the number of each.

Great score! Post some pictures, please!!
Last edited by tomanche on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi Jeff’s welcome :greet:

Gabe’s assessment is typically right on, I don’t have too much knowledge on the numbers. You will see 21 registered in the G&L Registry here and may be able to dig deeper.

http://guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/interact2.php3

Personally I think you have a winner! :alright:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:36 am

Hi Jeff,

The Broadcaster, introduced in 1985 and renamed to ASAT in 1986, has always been available with some sort of vibrato unit. Initially is was only the Kahler 2320 Tremolo and the Leo Fender Vibrato (a Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato with fine tuning) was added on the September 1, 1987 price list. Just 4 months later, the DFV became the 3rd vibrato option in the January 1, 1988 list. The Kahler unit was discontinued on the January 1, 1990 price list but, since I have no lists between July 1988 and the aforementioned date, that might have happened sooner.

Unfortunately I am not able to give you exact numbers on how many of each were produce in the pre-BBE era. Nonetheless, it is a wonderful piece in a classic finish and definitely somewhat rare.

- Jos

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Hmmm, sounds familiar.

I bought mine new (NOS actually, it was two years old) way back when and tend to keep an eye open for them; based on what I've seen they are indeed quite rare.
See some newer production models with the DFV but not many of the old ones.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:55 am

Looks like we have twins! This is mine. Pretty good overall condition. A little wear and you can see the darker yellow spot where
the previous owner had it signed by someone in '04 and I removed the sig. I got an amazing deal and I'm really surprised how much I like this guitar. Definitely a keeper.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Quite nice, both of them! Congrats, and thanks for posting photos.
Interesting timing/good things come in threes: another (in France) just showed up on Reverb.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:23 am

Jeffz wrote:Looks like we have twins! This is mine. Pretty good overall condition. A little wear and you can see the darker yellow spot where
the previous owner had it signed by someone in '04 and I removed the sig. I got an amazing deal and I'm really surprised how much I like this guitar. Definitely a keeper.

They are indeed nearly identical. Congrats, glad you are enjoying it and I'd wager it will continue to grow on you. They really can get some nice tones. I would love to try one side by side to the hardtail to hear if the vibrato changes the tone much.
Cool amp too. Those 65s always have intrigued me. Saw Elvis Costello using one in concert and it sounded really good.

Help with Vibrato Bar

Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:34 pm

So, when I bought the guitar, the owner did not have the vibrato bar. I ordered one from G&L. I got the (early version) said it was for pre2005, which this definitely is. It doesn't seem to fit properly. It looks to me like it should. Any other trems I have are way too small. It barely goes in. I could probably work it in there, but would take a lot of force and twisting. I don't want to damage it. I pulled the little plastic plug out where the hex screw goes before trying too. I guess if I get it to work, I'll need to get a screw too, but one thing at time...
Not sure where to go from here
Any advice?

Re: Help with Vibrato Bar

Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Jeffz wrote:So, when I bought the guitar, the owner did not have the vibrato bar. I ordered one from G&L. I got the (early version) said it was for pre2005, which this definitely is. It doesn't seem to fit properly. It looks to me like it should. Any other trems I have are way too small. It barely goes in. I could probably work it in there, but would take a lot of force and twisting. I don't want to damage it. I pulled the little plastic plug out where the hex screw goes before trying too. I guess if I get it to work, I'll need to get a screw too, but one thing at time...
Not sure where to go from here
Any advice?

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum->G&L Technical Questions & Tips sub-forum:
G&L's DF Vibrato System
It explains how the allen set screw and nylon bushing work to hold the bar in place.
You can get the set screws and nylon bushings in a pack of 6 sets from the G&L On-Line Store.
Here's the link: TENSION_SCREW_SET.

Also, I notice in your pictures that your bridge setup needs some adjustment, as the bridge plate is not parallel with the body.
See the Owner's Manual located in our GbL Gallery->Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics: Album: Owner's Manual, Version 2 (1988-2008) for setting up the DFV bridge.

Hope this helps.

Re: Help with vibrato bar fit please

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:09 am

I think I understand the bushing and set screw, but my issue is that the bar seems too big to fit into the hole. It is super tight. I can get it in only about 1/8”.

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:59 am

Jeffz wrote:I think I understand the bushing and set screw, but my issue is that the bar seems too big to fit into the hole. It is super tight. I can get it in only about 1/8”.

Perhaps you were sent the wrong size trem bar. If your socket is the original from the factory, the trem bar should be Diameter: approximately 0.25" or 6.35mm.
The current trem bar is: Diameter: approximately 0.23" or 5.84mm.

Make sure the set screw is backed out before inserting the bar. Also make sure that the nylon bushing is inserted into the screw hole before inserting the screw,
so that the bar does not get scored by the set screw.

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:48 am

So the bar measures right at .25”
The opening in measuring .2465”

Wonder how this could be…. Could it have swelled? Or maybe just corrosion over time inside. Really hard to see down that hole

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Jeffz wrote:So the bar measures right at .25”

Wonder how this could be…. Could it have swelled? Or maybe just corrosion over time inside. Really hard to see down that hole

Perhaps a previous owner replaced the trem bar socket with a newer version, which is for the .23" bar.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 am

Jeffz wrote:So the bar measures right at .25”

If I find the time maybe I will check the dimensions on my guitar. I will say this- the term arm is a pretty snug fit on my guitar and does take some effort to install. I don't see what it could hurt to try cleaning the hole with some kind of brush/reamer. Maybe even a little touch of silicon spray down the opening using a Q-tip swab?