organizational question

Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:30 am

This forum is dead, RIP. Has anyone considered combining it with the still active "G&L Products" forum? I always thought it was kind of elitist and insulting the way G&L guitars are split into "Instruments" and "Products" anyway--and I own a bunch of the old ones. Just a suggestion.

Re: organizational question

Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:24 am

Submersible wrote:This forum is dead, RIP. Has anyone considered combining it with the still active "G&L Products" forum? I always thought it was kind of elitist and insulting the way G&L guitars are split into "Instruments" and "Products" anyway--and I own a bunch of the old ones. Just a suggestion.

It is pretty dead from a participation standpoint but is still the most valuable resource for G&L knowledge. I hope it does not disappear.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:21 am

I guess you'd have to define "dead". The forum gets a few posts a month, sometimes more depending on the topic. I wouldn't consider that "dead". It is one of the very few places to go to search for information regarding vintage G&L guitars and that would be more difficult if it was changed. I think it is reasonable to differentiate the guitars that Leo Fender had a hand in creating vs. what has transpired since under BBE''s very capable stewardship. I didn't notice the forum naming difference until it was just brought up.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Submersible wrote:This forum is dead, RIP. Has anyone considered combining it with the still active "G&L Products" forum? I always thought it was kind of elitist and insulting the way G&L guitars are split into "Instruments" and "Products" anyway--and I own a bunch of the old ones. Just a suggestion.

The GbL has three Forums: G&L Forum (aka G&LDP), G&L Knowledgebase and the Marketplace. Each Forum have sub-forums. You posted this thread in the
G&L Instruments (1980-1991) sub-forum of the G&L Forum. See: Welcome! Read This First.
Go to the G&L Forum and you will see each sub-forum with description for each. There is a reason for the Leo era sub-forum as being listed as G&L Intruments (1980-1991) with a descriptions of :"The place to discuss, post photos, video, and audio of the G&L instruments produced from 1980 to 1991, including the amps & gear we use with them." and the G&L products (1992 to present) with a description of: "The place to discuss, post photos, video, and audio of the G&L products (instruments, stomp boxes, etc.) produced after 1991, including the amps & gear we use with them."

You say you own a bunch of the old ones, so why don't you post about them here and also add them to our G&L Registry? I only see an ASAT and an SC-2 being registered by you in our G&L Registry. If you have others, post in this forum about them instead of saying the forum (sub-forum) is dead. Perhaps others with Leo era G&L's with do the same and help revive this sub-forum. Suggestions for the GbL website are best posted in the G&LDP forum & guitarsbyleo.com site Discussion sub-forum.

I hope others will reply to your post and give feedback like member Tooslowhand has done.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:52 pm

Submersible,

I have participated on this forum in the last two formats over many years. There are ebbs and flows of participants and if now, or recently, it has been slow it will pick up again.

As mentioned, there is a tremendous amount of information within the site which I have used, and many of those not registered included, to learn about G&L. I am sure G&L guitars were acquired or modded based on information within these pages. This site is filled with some fantastic people, beyond there G&L knowledge.

To consider G&LDP “dead” is a rash judgement IMHO. We got a new member yesterday “invisaligncorp”, so members are joining as we speak, and there may have been others yesterday. Whether it’s my 1555th post since February 2010 or your 60th post since May 2010, our participation and new members joining are keeping G&LDP V2 an active community. We can certainly improve the G&LDP V2 web “footprint” with more posts on any topic, rather than saying it’s down for the count. I have some NGD info to post tomorrow and another topic as well, maybe you could tell us about yer G&L’s as Craig mentioned, and from other members what say you? :thumbup:

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:00 am

I get the impression that forums are in decline generally. I belong to another besides this one and traffic has dropped off there over the last few years. Lurking around some other forums I've noticed the same thing.
It would be nice if this forum was a bit more active but I wouldn't say it's dead yet.

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:48 am

I have never been a prolific poster on any forum , I would say that GBL is full of very knowledgeable enthusiasts and is the best source for any reliable information about G&L guitars. I still check the forum everyday. It is slower than it used to be , but then again it is up to us to post interesting topics to discuss instead of waiting for "the other guy" <----------- ( guilty as charged ). Definitely not dead.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 am

OK, thanks guys. I also appreciate many of the posts that are captured here and will try to participate more.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:30 am

mutts wrote:I get the impression that forums are in decline generally. I belong to another besides this one and traffic has dropped off there over the last few years. Lurking around some other forums I've noticed the same thing.
It would be nice if this forum was a bit more active but I wouldn't say it's dead yet.

This is true. Most folks younger than Gen X are spending most of their time on Reddit, where there is not a good sub for G&Ls...

Forums are going the way of newsgroups I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Chris

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:37 am

Unfortunately I agree that single interest forums are declining somewhat. Seems many people have migrated to facebook, twitter, and the like. Personally I think social media is the bane of human existence and I'll never have an account on any of those platforms. No doubt I'm in the minority.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:41 pm

I agree. I think most G&L players are spending time on the various FB pages as they provide instant response. I do wish more of those folks would participate here.

Tom

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:Unfortunately I agree that single interest forums are declining somewhat. Seems many people have migrated to facebook, twitter, and the like. Personally I think social media is the bane of human existence and I'll never have an account on any of those platforms. No doubt I'm in the minority.

I'm with you. I know there are some positives aspects to social media but it does seem they are a net negative. Like you I belong to none of them.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Don’t have any FB, Twitter or such, hope this has a cycle and more posts are made. Especially with the number of people registered here. I’m also technology challenged, so sticking with what I know how to use and the guitars I love. :o

How much time do people have to maintain presence on all of these sites!?!?