Marquis

Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:41 pm

Does anyone know anything about the G&L Marquis?

Inquiring minds would like to know,

y2kc

Re: Marquis

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:10 pm

I trust you checked out the blueprints and lefty Marquis in the Gallery. Looks much like a precursor to the Cavalier.

- Jos

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:47 am

Jos,

Yes I saw it. Are there two Marquis in existence?

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:47 am

Casey,

Don't know. Good question for Gabe or whomever now has Dale's copy of the logs.

- Jos

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm

I was surprised to see this Marquis on the internet. On July 6 2007 Dale Hyatt wrote me telling me that:

"Your guitar is one of a kind. I am not sure of the reason for it being
made however I am sure that being a left hand design it was most likely
for a friend of Mr. Fender. Possibly a musician doing promotion for him.
A purchase order from Sales does not exist.
My records list the instrument as follows:
Serial no.G0013xx 3-10-83 invoice no. 2913 color black model Marquis,
neck maple left hand."

In a phone conversation with Dale he told me that this guitar was a prototype
that did not go into production.

That is why I was surprised to see the other Marquis.

I wonder who this left handed guitarist was. Leo stopped what he was doing and designed a guitar for him.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:54 am

I missed the appearance of the "other" Marquis. Do you happen to have saved the link?

- Jos

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:27 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:I missed the appearance of the "other" Marquis. Do you happen to have saved the link?

- Jos

I searched the G&L Registry and found G001361 registered with "Model:Marquis-left handed" in the Other Features field.
I changed the Model name from Blank to One-Off. This may be the same guttar as the one shown in the Gallery but with no photo
of the serial number, it can not be determined.

y2kc, you might email the current listed owner of G001361 to get details about it or is this the one you own? :searching:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Yes I own G001361. I obtained it many years (decades?) ago from a good guy along with a lefty fretless bass, a lefty Broadcaster, a lefty Cavalier and a lefty Comanche. You know you have a sickness when you buy guitars you can't play.

The "other" Marquis is in the G&Ldp Gallery. It says it was made in the late '80's.
Is this late 80's version in the log book?

Dale had told me once that not every guitar was listed.That for some reason or another something would slip through and not be noted. The late 80's version of the mysterious Marquis may be an example.

I would be interested in any info anyone has on the Marquis and who it was built for.

Thanks

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:02 am

Please post some pics. This is also the first time I have heard of this model.
Thanks,
Tom