Rough looking F100 - opinions

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:20 pm

Hey gang. Wanted to get people's 2c on this one

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nundah/guitars-amps/g-l-f100-series-ii-made-in-usa-1981-/1275328793

It's not far from me, and I've had my eyes out for a Leo era G&L for a while. An F100 would complement the 90's ASAT Deluxe and the modern Legacy I have nicely, in terms of tones - but boy that one is in pretty rough shape, especially around the heel.

Wondering what the consensus here is (the AUD price comes out as about $1k USD). It's rare to see anything Leo era in Aus (not a lot of G&L's made their way here back then).

Re: Rough looking F100 - opinions

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:00 pm

Howdy mate,

That guitar is a steal at that price. Looks like an early one with slotted head pole pieces. Of course I cannot judge the state of the wiring harness but assuming it is OK, any new owner will love that guitar.

- Jos

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:00 pm

It depends on how badly you want it, but I wouldn't pay that much. G&Ls are also known to have bad resale value in Australia (see Shane's YouTube video where they're #1 in terrible resale), and I did manage to find an F-100 from 81 for about a third of that price, and it's in much better condition. I think I was lucky, but I've only paid over 1k for one of my 17 G&Ls, and I bought all but one in Australia. I think I may have seen other listings by that guy with some pretty hefty prices.
David

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:22 pm

Thanks gents.

David, I'm definitely across the bad resale value here - the other two I have were both bargains.

17 G&L's! That's a fair effort. You must have been keeping a good eye out - I don't see 'em popping up that often round here.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Yes, I do keep my eye out (in various places), and I lucked into a situation where a guy had several to sell. Where are you located? If I see something near you, I'll let you know. I'm in SA. David

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:38 pm

I'm in Brisbane - that would be much appreciated!