'86 Rampage nut replacement

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:52 pm

Hello,

New member here. I'm a proud owner of an '86 Rampage in yellow, the only G&L I own. I first learned about G&L in the mid 90s when I found out that Jerry Cantrell played them, but not living in the US I didn't get to play one until years later. I eventually managed to pick up my '86 Rampage in the mid 2000s when I moved to the US and found it first on Ebay, then got it from the seller in person who was selling it out of a vintage guitar store in my city. I truly love the feel and tone of this guitar, the quality is outstanding, though it does need a refret and a new nut.

The original nut lock was replaced by a previous owner with a behind the nut Kahler locking system, and it looks like the original nut was replaced with a black plastic one for some reason. The string groves were cut quite deep so I suspect that the previous owner had issues with the strings popping out of the slots when he/she used to dive bomb... The nut needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the Kahler lock and just replaced the nut with a bone nut, or have a floyd rose locking nut installed. I was wondering if anyone on here would have any thoughts on which mights be the better way to go? Keeping the Kahler would be less invasive as it would just mean installing a nut in the original slot, but a floyd rose locking nut maybe a better option for tuning stability and avoiding strings popping out? I'm still undecided.

Cheers.

Re: '86 Rampage nut replacement

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:29 am

I may be mistaken, but I believe original Rampage locks were all ‘behind the nut’ locks. I believe at the time Floyd Rose had a patent on the Floyd style lock on the nut itself.

Can you post pics of the nut you have now? I believe only the modern reissues have Floyd style nuts from the factory, so sounds like your guitar may be original. In which case I’d keep the stock locks, and have a pro set up the nut properly.

Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 am

I'd just go with a new bone nut.
...properly sized and occasionally lubed you should be fine with your stability.

Got any pics?

..and Welcome !
:D

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 am

Danley, yes the original lock was behind the nut, but the one on my Rampage is not the original Leo version, it’s a sturdier and more solid Kahler version. I can see where the holes from the original lockers were filled on my headstock. Cantrell had modded his original Rampages with a Floyd Rose nut, which is why I initially thought it could be a good option, since I have to replace it anyway... but now I’m think it’s too invasive, and that it’s better to retain as much as the original guitar as possible. I think a good amount of wood would have to be removed to accommodate a Floyd arose, and if it doesn’t work out well, there’s no coming back from it. MY Rampage is definitely original as I got it in 2006, before the new ones were made, and the neck pocket has a stamp saying 1986. Cheers.

Elwood, I think I will go with the bone nut. Less invasive in the long run, and cheaper too. I initially thought about a Floyf Rose also because the current lock is covering the truss rod hole, so I have to remove the lock to adjust the truss rod, but maybe having to shave wood for a Flyod would have the same outcome. Thanks for the welcome.

I will try to get some photos up soon, once I figure out the process.