1989 SC3 with mods value

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:38 pm

The local GC has a nice 1989 SC3 with alot of mods for $599 with oshc.A humbucker was added to the bridge position.The input jack was moved from the pickguard to the side of the guitar.There are 2 3 way micro switches added to the pickguard between the tone and volume knobs.The guitar sounds and plays very nice with alot of tonal variations.Everything else on the guitar is original .I see all original SC3s are going for around $900.Does the non original really reduce the value or is the modded guitar a good deal? I mean a american made vintage G&l for $599.

Re: 1989 SC3 with mods value

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:51 am

GuitarPicker67 wrote:The local GC has a nice 1989 SC3 with alot of mods for $599 with oshc.A humbucker was added to the bridge position.The input jack was moved from the pickguard to the side of the guitar.There are 2 3 way micro switches added to the pickguard between the tone and volume knobs.The guitar sounds and plays very nice with alot of tonal variations.Everything else on the guitar is original .I see all original SC3s are going for around $900.Does the non original really reduce the value or is the modded guitar a good deal? I mean a american made vintage G&l for $599.

I guess it depends. I think that's too much. '89 isn't a prime collectible year for them, and even the prime earlier years might not hit your $900 estimate. The thing has been hacked in a way that is not un-doable without a complete strip and refin (in order to cover plugged holes and routs). Basically, the thing has zero value as an old G&L, and only as much value as it has as a musical tool. I might consider it at $500, if the mods were at least well done, but even then, I wouldn't be completely sold. If it was a hack job, I'd bite at $300, take it apart, salvage what I wanted for future projects, and sell the rest.