The Amps I've Used With My Skyhawk

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 am

The description of this sub-forum includes the phrase “including the amps and gear we use with them”, so here's my list:

When I first bought my Skyhawk in the 80s, I was probably still using my early MusicMan 130 twin-12 combo amp.
This was followed by a slightly modified Peavey Triumph 60 single 12 combo.
During the last several years of my gigging days I used a 1st generation Fender Blues DeLuxe, my all-time favorite amp. For my tastes the combination of that amp with my modified Skyhawk was a match made in heaven. It also worked well on the rare occasion that I used any of my other guitars.

About 5 years ago I retired from gigging due to my age and health problems, but recently started noodling around at home. I've always preferred the sound of an amp just at (or before) the edge of compression and breakup. The Blues Deluxe does that well...at performance levels...but getting it there is too loud in my living room.

Then last week I found an old Silvertone 1482. I bought it purely for the nostalgia...it was my first gigging amp back in the mid 60s. After bringing it home I found that it perfectly fits my taste of “almost, but not quite overdriven” at low enough volume for at-home use. It's kinda' dark sounding, but it should be easy to modify it to brighten it up. Might try after the holidays.

Thanks for tolerating my long and slightly off-topic post!

Re: The Amps I've Used With My Skyhawk

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Nice illuminations,

I'm sure I've never seen a pic of a Skyhawk with a Silvertone 1482...hint,hint :)

My first decent amp was an Ampeg J-12...finding one brought back that nostalgic (to me) tone.
Amazing little time machines.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Elwood wrote:
I'm sure I've never seen a pic of a Skyhawk with a Silvertone 1482...hint,hint :)

Photos are coming.
First I need to fix or replace my good camera...then I need to remember what photo hosting site I used after Photo Bucket stopped being free.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 pm

cool!!
I'll keep my radar up :)

Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 am

Elwood wrote:My first decent amp was an Ampeg J-12...finding one brought back that nostalgic (to me) tone.
Amazing little time machines.

I can't comment on the Silvertone bringing back nostalgic tone memories. It's been too long to remember.

I've never owned an Ampeg amp, but...
I once sat in for a few songs with a band and used the regular guitar player's amp...an SVT with 810 cabinet! Not exactly my dream rig...

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:38 am

Grumpy Bill wrote:
Elwood wrote:

Photos are coming.
First I need to fix or replace my good camera...then I need to remember what photo hosting site I used after Photo Bucket stopped being free.

It will be a while longer before I post pics.
I have the Silvertone dismantled to replace some capacitors and measure (and possibly replace) the bias resistors, etc. to see how far they've drifted over the years.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm

Cool.
No hurry.
We'll be here :wave: