SC-3, leave it as well-used or try to bring it back?

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 am

I just bought an old SC-3 at a good price knowing that it wasn't in great shape. I'm wondering how much effort I should put into partially restoring it or just enjoy it the way it is.

The Good:
- It sounds amazing, the heavy body gives it a lot of tone and sustain
- It plays well, and there is still some life in the frets
- The neck is straight and intonation is great

The Bad:
- Using the trem bridge any more than a mild wobble detunes the strings immediately
- The finish on the fretboard has been flaking and coming off
- There are white paint marks all over the back

The Ugly:
- There seems to be some sort of thin split in the two body segments right near the pickups, especially between the middle and bridge pickups

I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions on this one.

Most importantly, should I be concerned about the gap/split near the pickups? It seems minor right now, but those are famous last words...

Has anyone had their fingerboard refinished? Maybe if I had the frets replaced it would be a good time to do that?

I've started to gently remove the white paint with an xacto knife, it's working well but will take a while.

Re: SC-3, leave it as well-used or try to bring it back?

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:25 am

I would fix the issues with the trem, but otherwise I would leave it as it. It's history & character.

edg

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:24 pm

guitar_ed wrote:I would fix the issues with the trem, but otherwise I would leave it as it. It's history & character.

edg

I agree.
Maybe drop some superglue in the crack to keep it where it is.

How is the nut? Often that's the culprit for trem issues.

I bet it sounds killer :)

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Other than the white paint I'm also leaning towards leaving it as is.

The more I play with the trem the more it seems to stabilize. I now wonder if it was just gunked up or oxidized or something and hasn't been used in a while.

Here are some pics of the nut. There is no lateral movement in the nut from any string, it seems ok to me but I'm definitely not a nut expert.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:49 pm

See: Album: Owner's Manual, Version 1 (1980-1987).
Make sure the bridge plate is parallel with body and check to make sure the pivot bolts are the same height to each other.
Also check the felt washers on the pivot bolts are not worn out. There should be 2 pads for each side.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks, Craig. I actually have an original copy of that owner's manual beside me now, it came with my '86 ASAT (that one was in near-mint condition though)

The felt pads look good, the bolts are the same height, and and the plate is parallel.

I am concerned that the cracks in the body might actually be from someone overtightening the top bridge bolt, it seems to stem from there.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:19 pm

One more thing to check for (with a solution), see: What can I do when my Legacy Trem Won't Stay in Tune?.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Wow, teflon tape? Love it!

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:02 pm

The 'D' string looks a little tight.
Hard to say from here, but that would bind things a little if it is.