Cavalier Owners!

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm

It seems a common description of Cavalier pickups/tone is "brighter than the normal humbucker" or "similar to a mini humbucker".
I am wondering if anybody can add to this at all. If you own a Cavalier how much do you enjoy it? Is it a go to guitar or is it something bought mostly for collector appeal? Are the pickups musical? Sometimes I've seen them described as thinnish- which may or may not imply something unappealing.
I keep finding myself interested in these but am always wary of mail ordering guitars- particularly when there are not many demos to help make an educated purchase.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: Cavalier Owners!

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm

I'll bite. I've owned one for the past 1-1/2 years. Swamp ash body, ebony board, saddle-lock bridge.
In my mind, the Cavalier sounds like an ASAT Classic: bright, biting, and similar in its three positions. It can tear your head off if you're not careful; luckily, the PTB circuit and/or amp settings can compensate. So, it's a humbucking ASAT Classic.... But I've also ripped Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" on it to surprisingly satisfying effect, so it can play in the dirt too.
I'm more likely to pick up an ASAT variant, a Skyhawk, or a Comanche than the Cavalier. So far, it's more a part of the collection than a vital instrument. I'm glad I've tried it... I would love to find one with a mahogany body, to smooth out the top end (as ggjaguar says).
Good story in Richard Smith's book about the Fender co., about how Leo "got his way" to have the bright(est) version of the Cavalier pickup put into production.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Naturally, after writing that, I had to grab my Cavalier and play it.
It confirms my impression that it's ASAT Classic-like; not so much like the jumbo MFD ASAT pickups. A different girth and type of detail.
But next, I rolled off the treble to halfway, added dirt, and the bridge pickup gave a darker "humbucker" vibe (on a Neil Young tune, which admittedly is usually a Les Paul with single coils). The pickup did respond nicely to pick attack, so that is like the behavior of a good humbucker.
I just think the goal of Cavalier pickups was to have a humbucker without the humbucker darkness. So it succeeds in that regard. I prefer the Z-coil, which strives to give single-coil tone in a humbucking package.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:51 am

Thanks, tomanche. I appreciate the input. Still can't decide what to do though. ;)

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:47 am

Warning Will Robinson!! Do Not buy a Cavalier! Also do not buy F-100's or the elusive G&L Marquis.

Please send me the information about this Cavalier you are looking at and I will make sure it is taken off the market.

Disclaimer: The above is sarcasm. A form of humor.

Respectfully,

y2kc

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:55 am

Too late. It sold. I wasn't really looking for a guitar right now so I am not too disappointed it's gone. Lesson learned though- if ya see one better grab it fast.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:37 am

mutts wrote:Too late. It sold. I wasn't really looking for a guitar right now so I am not too disappointed it's gone. Lesson learned though- if ya see one better grab it fast.

I've got a natural Cavalier with a black headstock and a maple board I'll be selling soon. Feel free to message me if you're interested.

As others in the forum have pointed out, the pickups are not very usable wide open. However, the PTB controls and amp settings allow for a lot of usable tones. Also, These pickups REALLY love compression. A hypergravity compression pedal helps to tame the spiky transients in the trebles and bring back some mids.

I'm a huge fan of the Cavalier for its looks and originality. I'm selling mine because I'm building towards an epic custom shop project.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:53 am

There's a red one on Reverb / Ebay now. I always wanted one, but can't really justify the purchase so have at it.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 pm

neutralomen wrote:
mutts wrote:Too late. It sold. I wasn't really looking for a guitar right now so I am not too disappointed it's gone. Lesson learned though- if ya see one better grab it fast.

I've got a natural Cavalier with a black headstock and a maple board I'll be selling soon. Feel free to message me if you're interested.

As others in the forum have pointed out, the pickups are not very usable wide open. However, the PTB controls and amp settings allow for a lot of usable tones. Also, These pickups REALLY love compression. A hypergravity compression pedal helps to tame the spiky transients in the trebles and bring back some mids.

I'm a huge fan of the Cavalier for its looks and originality. I'm selling mine because I'm building towards an epic custom shop project.

The one I had seen was quite inexpensive and was well seasoned. Somebody had obviously played it lots. Considering I am not really in the market right now the price was part of the temptation.

I did notice there are usually a few Music Man Sabres for sale on the web. That might be a good way to get a Leo creation that seems comparable to the Cavalier.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:23 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:There's a red one on Reverb / Ebay now. I always wanted one, but can't really justify the purchase so have at it.

I didn't find it. I had seen one on CL out in California. Nice thing about the one I had seen was the seller allowed returns.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Heire's the link, but it now says "No longer available". Must have sold.

https://reverb.com/item/34660133-g-l-cavalier-1983-1984-red