'86 Skyhawk Questions (Locking Nut and Bridge Pickup)

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 pm

I traded for this '86 Skyhawk about 6 months ago (thanks for details, Craig!). New to G&L I'm having difficulties finding answers on my own, so here I am!!! These are my questions:

1) I am missing the metal locking nut. Does anyone know where I can get one, or if there is a workable substitute? I'll be keeping this guitar. so I'm not not shy about replacing the OEM piece with something else. Another question might be: Do I really need to replace the metal locking nut? If not AND I can't find an OEM piece, what are your thoughts IYHOs.

2) The bridge pup on my Skyhawk is a Seymour Duncan. Not sure what model. The first question is: Did G&L ever put SDs in '86 Skyhawks? I'm under the impression that the answer is "No" based on all photos I can find on the net. Just like with the locking nut, if the SD is not OEM, will I be able to find an original G&L pickup, or should I just stop worrying about it and leave well enough alone? Second question regarding the SD: IYHOs, what do you think about the pole alignment on the SD? Most posts I read about ANY guitar kinda say it's not worth futzing around with pole position OR pole height.

I'll do my best to add pix here, but this is my first post. If I mess up, I'll add later in subsequent replies. Thanks for your opinions!!!!

[timage=]https://ibb.co/SJSrv51[/timage]
[timage=]https://ibb.co/bdWp9v1[/timage]

Re: '86 Skyhawk Questions (Locking Nut and Bridge Pickup)

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Hey BillDaSquid

The pictures did not pan out yet. Here some instructions how to do that on this site. I created the proper links in my response below.

Some answers for you:
BillyDaSquid wrote:1) I am missing the metal locking nut. Does anyone know where I can get one, or if there is a workable substitute? I'll be keeping this guitar. so I'm not not shy about replacing the OEM piece with something else. Another question might be: Do I really need to replace the metal locking nut? If not AND I can't find an OEM piece, what are your thoughts IYHOs.

You are talking about the Leo Fender patented string retainer shown in the picture to the right::
ImageImage
They still show up on auction sites like eBay and/or Reverb quite regularly but they seem to get harder to come by.

BillyDaSquid wrote:2) The bridge pup on my Skyhawk is a Seymour Duncan. Not sure what model. The first question is: Did G&L ever put SDs in '86 Skyhawks? I'm under the impression that the answer is "No" based on all photos I can find on the net. Just like with the locking nut, if the SD is not OEM, will I be able to find an original G&L pickup, or should I just stop worrying about it and leave well enough alone?

No, SD pickups were only used in the BBE-era. Leo had quite the aversion to SDs and even using the Schaller humbucker found on G&L Superstrats took quite something. The original pickups are hard to get by. I hate saying this because I do not approve on what the guy is doing, but it may be your saving grace: look for gibsondependable on eBay (I think). He tends to part out guitars and I have seen him part out SC-3s. These are the pickups you want; they are the same as used on the Skyhawk.

But as you say, if you think that bridge pickup sounds great, leave it alone unless you truly want to restore the instrument to something closer to what it was when it left the factory.

BillyDaSquid wrote:Second question regarding the SD: IYHOs, what do you think about the pole alignment on the SD? Most posts I read about ANY guitar kinda say it's not worth futzing around with pole position OR pole height.

The F-spacing is alright but the angle isn't. It looks like it wants to lay flat with the pole pieces properly stacked vertically. But you have to look hard to notice and sonically it will not make much of a difference.

Hope this helps.

- Jos

Re: '86 Skyhawk Questions (Locking Nut and Bridge Pickup)

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:15 am

Thanks Jos.!

I thought of eBay but not Reverb. Will check both of those this morning, and create alerts for notification if any show up. I appreciate you responses. I'm patient, and I'll get it all back to OEM over time.

Thanks again and stay healthy!

"Billy"