Finish Chips - Stabilization

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Starting off not quite on-topic; I just pulled my SC3 out after a while playing other guitars; ever have one of those moments where your jaw drops and your realize: 'THAT's what I've wanted this to sound like?' :shock: Such a solid, amazing feeling guitar and I've never even changed the strings since I got it a couple years ago since it sounded so great to begin with. I don't even think the truss rod has been turned since it left the factory (the nut doesn't have any of the usual scarring old guitars have) and it is just a perfect, bolt-straight neck. Sounds so chunky, and loves being played hard.

...Back to what's at hand :D I pretty much care for my guitars too much; one reason I don't tend to lug the SC3 around or let it out much is there's some chipping at the end of the headstock. Not only that, but the finish is somewhat lifted. I don't want to lose any more chips.

Any suggestions on how to stabilize this? I don't need to make it look perfect, but don't want to make it look worse. I do have a re-ranch touch-up pen in black; my thought is if I can slip some paint between the lifted area and the wood, that will at least abate chipping. Any other ideas?

Re: Finish Chips - Stabilization

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:49 pm

I'd put a light coat of CA glue after the black, that'd keep it stable
and you could buff it a little if needed.

Nice to hear of an old SC-3 getting some TLC :thumbup:
...need more pics :mrgreen:

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 am

Elwood wrote:I'd put a light coat of CA glue after the black, that'd keep it stable
and you could buff it a little if needed.

Nice to hear of an old SC-3 getting some TLC :thumbup:
...need more pics :mrgreen:

Sure, why not (I never need much encouragement :) ) I'd definitely make sure the flake peeling up had a lot of finish or glue under it before I buffed; but I want to use something that will be potentially amenable to a future 'legit' repair, or won't interact with the finish at least. Really I just want to arrest the possibility of more paint chipping:

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am

I have probably stated this previously, but your SC-3 is the one I would want. Love the all black. Keep us informed of the paint chip fix.

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:56 am

Any competent luthier should be able to permanently repair (drop-fill) those chips very inexpensively. Lots of do-it-yourself videos' on youtube if your interested as well.....
Black is the easiest to color match.
Nice guitar !