L-1000 Bass with only two switch positions?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:28 am

Somewhere on the internet there is, or was, a schematic for an L-1000 bass that only shows two switch positions, rather than the standard "Humbucking / Single Coil / SC with Bass Boost" three position switch that is normal. I can't find this schematic at the moment, it apparently was hosted at glguitars before the website re-do.

Has anyone ever seen one of these two-position switch basses? Ken at bassesbyleo says that they were made in 1990-91 but those were very sparse years for the L-1000 and I have never heard of a non-molested bass that actually "features" a two-position pickup switch.

Edit: Okay, I found it. It's not a schematic but merely a description.

http://tuna.zeni.net/L1000_controls_diagram.pdf

Does this match up with a bass that anyone has seen or heard of?

Re: L-1000 Bass with only two switch positions?

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:15 am

derick wrote:Somewhere on the internet there is, or was, a schematic for an L-1000 bass that only shows two switch positions, rather than the standard "Humbucking / Single Coil / SC with Bass Boost" three position switch that is normal. I can't find this schematic at the moment, it apparently was hosted at glguitars before the website re-do.

Has anyone ever seen one of these two-position switch basses? Ken at bassesbyleo says that they were made in 1990-91 but those were very sparse years for the L-1000 and I have never heard of a non-molested bass that actually "features" a two-position pickup switch.

We have a 1992 G&L Catalog which indicates the L-1000 has a two-position switch for series/parallel.
See Page 3 from our Gallery: Album: 1992-93 Catalog

Hope this helps.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:42 am

Craig wrote:We have a 1992 G&L Catalog which indicates the L-1000 has a two-position switch for series/parallel.
See Page 3 from our Gallery: Album: 1992-93 Catalog

Yes, that's very interesting. Greg Gagliano has a photo and a description of a 1992 L-1000 on his website and he specifically states that it "is a late example of an L-1000 bass from the last year of production" and he also describes the switching options on this bass as being the standard three positions. This bass looks to be owned by him, he has posted a photo of his wunkay collection and that bass is in the picture.

I would assume that a different switch function would certainly be noticed by him and documented. This makes me wonder if the "two position switch" verbiage by G&L was accurate, and until we actually find a real world example, I am skeptical.

Regards,

-Don

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:51 am

derick wrote:Somewhere on the internet there is, or was, a schematic for an L-1000 bass that only shows two switch positions, rather than the standard "Humbucking / Single Coil / SC with Bass Boost" three position switch that is normal. I can't find this schematic at the moment, it apparently was hosted at glguitars before the website re-do.

According to the L-1000 schematic block diagram the 3 positions are:
Humbucking (parallel) / Single Coil / Humbucking (series with .1UF Capacator)
See: L-1000_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf.