Why does my 1982 S-500 have a TRS input jack?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:53 pm

I was trying to diagnose some weird signal/buzzing issues, and I opened the control plate for the first time on my 1982 S-500. The input jack is a stereo input jack, or TRS/tip-ring-sleeve connector. The part of the jack that should connect to the ring is bent away, but its lug is soldered up as if something was once connected to it.

Do other guitars of this era have the stereo jack? Or is this a replacement?

Re: Why does my 1982 S-500 have a TRS input jack?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:39 pm

scelerat wrote:I was trying to diagnose some weird signal/buzzing issues, and I opened the control plate for the first time on my 1982 S-500. The input jack is a stereo input jack, or TRS/tip-ring-sleeve connector. The part of the jack that should connect to the ring is bent away, but its lug is soldered up as if something was once connected to it.

I don't have any of my guitars here at our OC house, so I cannot comment on which output jack my 1982 S-500 has.
Here is a copy of the early schematic for the S-500 (PDF file): S-500 (early style) - schematic drawing.

Hope this helps.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:01 pm

I noticed the TRS connector on a few of my guitars and asked about it a year or more back. Can't locate that post off hand but I sure did find it odd. Not sure if the ring tab was soldered to anything but found on some, only the sleeve was wired and nothing else. Not sure I ever got an answer to my post...I'll look some more.

Tom

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Craig wrote:
scelerat wrote:I was trying to diagnose some weird signal/buzzing issues, and I opened the control plate for the first time on my 1982 S-500. The input jack is a stereo input jack, or TRS/tip-ring-sleeve connector. The part of the jack that should connect to the ring is bent away, but its lug is soldered up as if something was once connected to it.

I don't have any of my guitars here at our OC house, so I cannot comment on which output jack my 1982 S-500 has.
Here is a copy of the early schematic for the S-500 (PDF file): S-500 (early style) - schematic drawing.

Hope this helps.

Here are some photos of my 1982 S-500 showing the output jack:

Hope this helps.