Old guitars at auction house

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 am

Thank goodness it is Friday. My job today is to go and stain a floor in Evanston Il. My wife's job is to find diapers for the cat.
Just wondering if you fans of older G&L's ever look at Heritage Auctions? They have some big dollar auctions for vintage Les Pauls and the like
and from time to time they have G&L guitars.
They have an old Les Paul right now that is going to bring a ton of cash. Last auction they sold a SG of Duane Allman's and a V that was owned by one of the Kinks. It is fun to watch these
high priced guitars get auctioned off. These auction houses charge a ton of money. The premium you pay on one of these guitars is surprising.

Where do you do your window shopping?

y2kc

Re: Old guitars at auction house

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:15 am

Hey Casey,

Great topic for Friday.

My typical, almost daily, hunting grounds are eBay, Reverb, CList, Guitar Center Used, TDPRI Classifieds and The Gear Page Classifieds. Guitar purchases have been mainly from Reverb and eBay, but had few big surprises from Guitar Center Used section. Random guitar shops have produced good buys as well. MusicGoRound can be good every now and then.

I have looked at Heritage Auctions over the years but never bid or purchased. Occasionally see various G&L’s posted. Anyone who has purchased from Heritage please pipe in and give pros and cons.

Repeat after me, “I can stop whenever I want.”

Happy hunting :searching:

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:09 pm

This was posted yesterday on bassesbyleo.com: https://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2956
From Walter Becker's estate auction -

Black 1982 Wunkay sold for $1750
Blue 1983 Fretless sold for $1250. This bass has ghostlines, probably converted post factory.

Oh, and plus a 28% buyer's premium.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi Casey,

Yeah, I also check out HA as well as Julian's. Right now, HA has 5 G&L guitars listed from the Borst Guitar Collection. Large parts of that collection were for sale earlier this year and included some of those now for sale again. I got my X-body Interceptor III through them. And yes, you have to take the "buyers premium" into account if your= want to budget. And what a misnomer. There is nothing "premium" about it. Just all it the "upcharge".

BTW, I submitted all 5 to the Registry on this site last week.

Otherwise it is the usual: eBay, Reverb, Emerald City, Carter, Gruhn's, etc. I previously also kept track of Gbase but not lately. That platform seem too have been overtaken by eBay and Reverb, especially the latter which has become more and more popular with many of their listings being store related

- Jos

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 am

I also like Craigslist National searches. I use Tempest and dial in G&L and search all the craigslists at once. I found the white Nighthawk in Michigan that way. I also collect Gibson and Heritage guitars and have found some nice examples of those as well on Tempest. I think it is called Tempest, don't hold me to it.
Sam Ash Used also is a place to check with.
Carter Guitars always have something cool. They are in the heart of guitar country.

Winter is here in the midwest and it blows,time to bring the guitars in from the storage shed.

y2kc

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I keep an eye out on the Heritage site and have seen some nice G&Ls and some battered up ones too. You do end up paying a hefty price after the buyers premium but I can say that Jos got a pretty decent deal on that Interceptor III a couple years back. For the most part, I think it's a high priced auction site. But you never know what you might find there, just like any site, gotta keep looking.

Tom

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Well, since the Walter Becker auction information was interesting enough to share:

Walter's 1987 Blue (looks brighter than Viking Blue, but dunno) 2nd Gen SC-3 went for $1500.

His '87 Red Skyhawk, $1250.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Coming in a bit under the Gilmore black strat price tag!

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:13 am

I don't see any bidding on the 1959 Les Paul at the Heritage Auction site. Come on folks someone here needs that guitar.

The George Fullerton Model is getting some attention. If you have not played a GF you owe it to yourself to try one. The early "V" neck examples are a delight to play. One of the nicest Strat type guitars out there in my opinion. That George Fullerton was a clever man.

Seriously someone here is going to step up today and get that Les Paul. Try hiding that purchase.

y2kc