1981 F-100 vibrato questions

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I have two questions about the tremolo system on my 1981 F-100:

1. What size Allen key is needed to tighten and loosen the set screw? I had the number at some point, but I seem to have misplaced it. Couldn't easily find it online.

2. Are there any tips/hacks to keep the screw tightened? It seems like every time I tighten it, it'll stay in place if I leave it alone, but after maybe 30 seconds of active handling it loosens up again.

Thank you!

Re: 1981 F-100 vibrato questions

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Reverdetoc wrote:Hi everyone,

I have two questions about the tremolo system on my 1981 F-100:

1. What size Allen key is needed to tighten and loosen the set screw? I had the number at some point, but I seem to have misplaced it. Couldn't easily find it online.

2. Are there any tips/hacks to keep the screw tightened? It seems like every time I tighten it, it'll stay in place if I leave it alone, but after maybe 30 seconds of active handling it loosens up again.

Thank you!

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

You might be missing the nylon bushing which goes between the screw and the trem bar.
See: G&L's DF Vibrato System.

Does your trem bar have a slotted end? If so, you might try using a blade screwdriver to spread the slot wider.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added question about the type of trem bar and possible solution.

Re: 1981 F-100 vibrato questions

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:36 pm

The nylon bushing seems to harden over time, making bar tightening more of an on/off engagement; new ones are available but unsure how they fit.