What should I price my SC-3 mustang body?

Fri May 10, 2019 8:05 am

Hello all,

First post. I think I've following the rules. :-D

So I'm looking to sell my USED G&L SC-3 "Rarebird" with mustang body. Unfortunately, I need to sell it quick (no time for shipping) and so I'm going local FB marketplace and local guitar shops. If I had the time I would probably go to Reverb.

I've never sold a guitar before, but I guess it's in "good condition". Few nicks, but nothing major. There is a bit of corrosion; not sure if that can be cleaned up.

What should I try to get for it? Obviously the guitar shops have to make a profit so my guess is their offer will be lower than what I can get on FB marketplace. But a shop would definitely be faster.

Many Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82sypv20j33fn0w/IMG_3241.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q06iuiyrcgzky1p/IMG_3276.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yqrq36enbaotiu/IMG_3255.jpg?dl=0

Re: What should I price my SC-3 mustang body?

Fri May 10, 2019 8:16 am

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?

Hope this helps.

Please do add your guitar to our G&L Registry.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am

Just for reference, there is a first body style SC-3 on Reverb (in good condition), it has been on there for four months list at $829. So for quick sale, I think you will need to be less. I picked up my second body style SC-3 for $699. Mu understanding is SC-3 are more common than SC-2 or SC-1. Also I could not open you pictures, is it hardtail or vibrato? Most were vibrato, so a hardtail might get more. But it come down to what the buyer is looking for.

My suggestion, if you are looking for quick sale I'd say $500-600. If you didn't need quick sale I'd say $599-799 (perhaps up to $899) is reasonable range. I hope you can find a good home for that SC-3. I have and still enjoy mine!

Cheers,
Dan

Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 am

Hey Dan, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. From my limited research, that's where I was thinking as well. And it's a vibrato.

Fri May 10, 2019 10:08 am

that one looks to be in very good condition and is rare in that it's 1st body style. I'd price it at least into the upper 800's to start (less if no case or whammy bar), come down by 10% if no initial interest.

Fri May 10, 2019 10:14 am

Hey John,

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Right now, no case. Ex-girl has it or trashed it. :-D

And pretty sure the whammy MIA and not in the case.

Cheers

Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am

:lol: i would charge her at least $50 for that!
probably upper 700's starting price then.
you could get an aftermarket whammy bar online, if needed.
If you picked up a gig bag (<$40) that might make it more attractive to buyer.

Fri May 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Ex has responded! Though her son has taken a case off to college. I also had a gig bag over there, so should be able to get one of them soon. And the other later.

Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Early ones had white pickups covers FWIW.

Cheers,
KF