Pickguard tracing from '87-91 ASAT

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Emails to G&L have been ignored so time to move on in the PG search. Tone-Guard will make what I need but they require a tracing of the pickguard. So I am hoping a fellow G&LDPer will be kind enough to trace their pickguard onto a piece of copy paper with a sharp pencil. PM me if willing to do the task and I will send a SASE. My body is a '91 with the large MFD pickups.
Thanks much!

Re: Pickguard tracing from '87-91 ASAT

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:Emails to G&L have been ignored so time to move on in the PG search. Tone-Guard will make what I need but they require a tracing of the pickguard. So I am hoping a fellow G&LDPer will be kind enough to trace their pickguard onto a piece of copy paper with a sharp pencil. PM me if willing to do the task and I will send a SASE. My body is a '91 with the large MFD pickups.
Thanks much!

What email address are you sending to? You should be using the one in this link (Repairs/Tech Support): G&L PRODUCT SUPPORT.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:38 pm

You could also have someone scan and email a PDF of the tracing to you as well. Just need to put a line of known length (1 inch, 6 inch, etc.) on the paper so that you can scale it properly when printed out. Having the actual tracing does remove any doubt, but the above process should work.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 pm

Tone-Guard asks for a simple tracing on copy paper, folded in half and sent in a regular envelope. I did send and email out to repairs@glguitars. Hope to hear back from them! The previous emails went to their regular "contact us" address. One way or another, this thing will get figured out...thanks for the help so far.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:59 am

Found an '88 ASAT PG on Reverb. Right handed but can be flipped over or sent off to be used as a template.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Cool you found an old school p/g. Yeah, you can just flip it over and it will fit perfectly as the specs back then were bang on...
I did this on my ASAT Sig that was in a fire. The only difference with using the right hand p/g is that the screw holes won't be counter sunk but you can shave a bit off to get the screw heads to sink lower.

Cheers,
KF

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:11 pm

What amazes me is the quality of these guitars. The routs and pickups are a perfect fit, Pickguards are metal, not plastic, and apparently very precisely fitted. The trem system looks really solid. Going to take my time and put a perfect nitro finish on the body.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:30 pm

I hear ya. Old school is the best school. Leo & Co could have skimped on the quality but chose not to do so. Dale Hyatt is quoted as saying they might as well included a $50 note with every SC-1 sent out as that's what they were losing on that model. Re Mr. Hyatt, check out the Band of Susan's G&L Factory tour on Youtube. It's a real treat and shows the level of quality that went into the instruments back then.
Best of Luck on your resto!

Cheers,
KF