Bridge Parts for 1989 ASAT Classic

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 am

Hello! I'm glad I found this board! I bought this guitar second-hand in 1993, and it's been my favorite ever since. Being young and stupid, I painted the guitar dark brown, but a few years later returned it to it's natural state. I also put a stacked humbucker in the bridge position, because I couldn't figure out how to deal with the feedback in high-volume settings. The patent on the Leo Fender Vibrato Bridge is #4,674,389. I've always thought about adding a fulcrum and using the vibrato as intended, and I think I'm ready to do so now. As you can see, there's a lot of rust on the bridge springs. I'd like to replace those and also find a suitable vibrato arm (fulcrum). Does anyone know where I might purchase these items?

Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGg4DUhaFx1NnBmf7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgTr2Z61qqecUbez6

Re: Bridge Parts for 1989 ASAT Classic

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:55 pm

I haven't seen many of those. Did you screw down the vibrato?

I believe G&L sells the correct spec vibrato arm now:

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... al-fulcrum

I'm not sure about the saddles. It doesn't look like the new saddles would work with that assembly. But I believe the new bridge assembly should fit on the pivots.

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... um-vibrato

Nice ASAT BTW!

Cheers, Dan

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks Dan! Now that you mention it - I believe I did tighten the two screws on each side of "by Leo Fender" as far as they will go. Since my original post, I found some telecaster intonation springs (I know, I know...) and I'm gonna give those a whirl. I'm also going to try the vibrato arm in the link you provided. Since it's about time for another set-up, I'll ask my guitar dude if he can properly set the bridge up for use with the vibrato. I really don't want to replace the original bridge assembly. And thanks for the complement. I've tried/owned a lot of other guitars, but none have felt as comfortable as my ASAT!

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi, I have a few questions and perhaps some insight as to what you have for a bridge.

Is the guitar routed for the vibrato Bridge?
Do you have any of the other parts such as the trem block itself?

It looks like you have the trem plate from a Leo Fender Fine Tuner Bridge. The slotted screw would attach to the trem block. The six threaded holes towards the back of the plate would be for the fine tuner screws that ride on pivoting, spring loaded plates to keep tension on the strings but allow for adjustments. See the pics below. It just so happens that I am helping out another forum member that has just the plate and was wondering what it would take to have the rest of the parts machined or f they could be bought. There are versions of this bridge that have two bosses for whammy bars, presumably for left handed setup or players that prefer the whammy bar on top. This is the version in my pics. The shape of the plate is different but I believe the other parts would be the same. I'm told that Leo's patent for this bridge is also on this site in the gallery.

It would be cool if you could restore the fine tuner bridge but possibly expensive.

Tom

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Tom, I think you are right. Not having the straight front edge on the bridge plate threw me off. But now seem to recall you once sharing an image of a fine tuner bridge with the curve front edge. That would explain the extra hole near the rear bend that would be for the tuners.

I still believe the CLF Research vibrato arm should fit this bridge.

Cheers, Dan

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:48 am

Wow! Really interesting Tom. I appreciate all that info. Yep my bridge is a just a bit different, but I do believe it operates exactly the same way. Pardon my ignorance in guitar anatomy; but yes, the trem block is still there and I can see the little plates but I'm not sure if the springs are there or not. I'll have to take it apart after my gig this weekend. I believe it's routed for vibrato?? Can you tell?

Agreed on the expense - especially if those "plate springs" are missing.

Again, thanks so much for the info. You guys have already been a great help.

Steve

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQxdL8LDeUVjCcJ76

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:57 am

Ok - I looked at the bridge a little closer, and from just the right angle you can see part of the plate springs. Glad they are there!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8kxGUmkiFZJAG1Zt9

So now..... 1) Does it look like it's routed for vibrato? and 2) If so, do I need the fine tuners to use the vibrato?

Thanks!
Steve

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 am

I will first qualify my response by saying that I have never played or personally seen a fine tuning vibrato. I base my comment, as an engineer, from my observation of the pictures. I do believe it will operate as a vibrato without the fine tuners.

To me it appears that this bridge works as follows.
1. There are cast-in pins on the anchor plates. This cast features fit in holes in the bridge plate to locate the anchor plates such that the hole in the trem-block, anchor plate and bridge plate align so that one can easily pass the strings through all three for string changes.
2. The compression springs create upward pressure on the anchor plates. This keeps the anchor plates in places. Without the spring, the anchor plate could rattle or possibly come out when there was no string installed.
3. The fine tuner screw presses against the anchor plate on the end opposite of the cast pin. By adjusting the screw, the tilt or angle of the anchor plate is varied. This small movement in the anchor point for the string makes fine changes in string tension thus tuning.
4. In the absence of fine tuner screws, the springs and string tension will keep the anchor plates flush with the bottom of the bridge plate. In my opinion, it should function as a vibrato without the tuning screws, you just will not have the fine tuning functionality.

Cheers, Dan

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Hey Dan, you are mostly correct, you might be able to remove the little plates and springs and have it work like a regular DFV.

Steve, see above. Also, I can't tell if your guitar is routed for a DFV type of bridge but id does not look like it is. There is usually a rectangular hole routed for the trem block with a round hole on the treble side for the whammy boss and the nut that goes under it. This makes a weird rectangle with a protruding round corner. I can't come up with a pic just yet but maybe someone on here has one they could post. It wouldn't be too difficult to drill that out. Other than that, looking at your pics it looks like you have everything you need except for the fine tuner screws. The whammy bar itself can be had from the G&L store, just make sure you get the correct diameter one, there were two different ones made over the years.

Tom