pickguards pre-1997 ASAT Special

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Just found out from Chandler that they began making guards for G L in 1997. They want me to send a template of my '91 guard which would be difficult SINCE I DON'T HAVE ONE!. Does amyone know if a '97 guard will fit a '91 ASAT Special body? Main concern is the pickup cutouts.
On the Tone-guard site there are a few pics of custom pickguards made for ASAT Specials. They state that the '87-91 guitars had the neck pickup slightly closer to the neck compared to the newer models, and the '97 PG will not fit. Good info as I was just going to take a chance with a '97.
Last edited by anteriorl5 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: pickguards pre-1997 ASAT Special

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:39 pm

That far back the guitar was just called ASAT as they were only making that Tele style guitar. I don't know if the modern one is the same, but perhaps someone who has an older one would make a tracing for you.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Hoping Tone-Guard can make an aluminum guard. Those black crinkle guards on the old ASATs are way cool.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I wonder if you contacted G&L if they be able to find and sell you one?

Craig wrote:
Project Fake Broadcaster has a pickguard and bridge! Well, almost. Out in the Unit J warehouse I found an original CLF black crinkle powdercoated aluminum pickguard. The bridge I have had in my desk drawer since like ‘94 and I remember talking to dealers on the phone while doodling on the saddles. There is a saddle missing, and I don’t remember what I did with it. Maybe it’s still around in a drawer, I’ll figure it out. Anyway, I’ve had it sooo long and I’m finally gonna use it for Project Fake Broadcaster. I think that’s kinda cool.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I wonder if you contacted G&L if they be able to find and sell you one?

Craig wrote:
Project Fake Broadcaster has a pickguard and bridge! Well, almost. Out in the Unit J warehouse I found an original CLF black crinkle powdercoated aluminum pickguard. The bridge I have had in my desk drawer since like ‘94 and I remember talking to dealers on the phone while doodling on the saddles. There is a saddle missing, and I don’t remember what I did with it. Maybe it’s still around in a drawer, I’ll figure it out. Anyway, I’ve had it sooo long and I’m finally gonna use it for Project Fake Broadcaster. I think that’s kinda cool.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 pm

I suppose I could try to contact G L again. 0 for 2 so far. I'm sure they have the template on a shelf. Could you trace that PG onto a piece of copy paper with a sharp pencil? I'll send you a SASE.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:14 pm

That pick guard is actually at G&L.

Tom

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:11 pm

I will try calling out there.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am

Hi there,

I'm just curious if you're still (after nearly 4 years...) interested in getting a template for this era of ASAT pickguard.

I would be happy to help you out if so!

Private message me if you're interested.

I myself am searching for an aluminum pickguard with black crinkle finish for a 1987 ASAT and may end up going the fabrication route.

Cheers,

Chris

Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:12 am

Hi, I actually have one of these crinkle aluminum pickguards, it is currently on my Broadcaster, replacing the singly ply black guard that had a corner broken off. There was a change made in the ASAT body shape at some point, the aluminum pickguard did not fit a late 90s ASAT. I don't know when or why the change was made, but I believe it was BBE era.