trem fulcrum bolts

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am

Wow! Ordered a trem to fit my 1991 body and the bolts that the trem rests on are too large for the anchors. G L sent 2 sets of bolts with different threads, but both too large.

The problem is with the threaded bolts being a hair too large to screw into the anchors set in the body. G L have not replied to my email. If G L has used the same size bolts since day one, just changing to metric along the way, then what's in this body are not G L parts. Just going to tap the anchors out for the new bolts. The brass cuts easily I am told and I have the right size tap on hand.
Last edited by anteriorl5 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: trem fulcrum bolts

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Please post pictures.

Tom

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:42 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:Wow! Ordered a trem to fit my 1991 body and the bolts that the trem rests on are too large for the anchors. G L sent 2 sets of bolts with different threads, but both too large.

See this post:http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13763

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Everything good with the anchors/bolts now. Was at the hardware store yesterday and they did not have a bolt to fit the anchors. English fine threads I'm guessing. After 10 minutes not finding the right bolt a customer came over, said the GL bolt I had was 8MM fine thread and he had the right tap for it. He was kind enough to bring it by this morning (small town) and it took all of 5 minutes to tap out the brass anchors to 8MM. Bolts set smoothly, ready for trem. Now it's on to the finishing process. Must say I'm disappointed with G L for not responding to either of my emails about the trem bolts or possibility of making a neck. Why not have better customer service and more parts in the online store? Why not make a neck if someone needs one?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Are you sure it is a U.S. made guitar body? Perhaps the guitar was a Tribute.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:46 am

Neck pocket dated May 1991. Did they have Tributes back then? Maybe an employee project. Could also have been considered defective somehow and discarded, brought home for a project that never happened.
Last edited by anteriorl5 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:38 am

Looking at the online store, it says:

Dual Fulcrum vibrato kit comes complete with chrome plated brass saddles, chrome plated brass block, vibrato arm, springs, spring claw and all mounting hardware. Available in Right and Left hand versions. Original equipment on USA models and will also fit Tribute instruments.

Note: Early G&L USA guitars with Dual Fulcrum have different thread pitch for the bridge posts. This kit comes with an extra pair of bridge posts with the early style thread pitch.

Did you not have two sets of posts? I see they sell the original spec post themselves on their online store:

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... idge-early

I'm positive G&L would not be using M8 back in 1991. It would make sense that they use M8 today as the same bridge is used for USA and Tribute models.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 am

Right. English threads on my anchors, just not the same diameter bolt they provided. They didn't have a complete selection of fine-thread english bolts at the hardware store.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:13 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:Right. English threads on my anchors, just not the same diameter bolt they provided. They didn't have a complete selection of fine-thread english bolts at the hardware store.

Please post photos of this body. To post photos, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:00 am

I will see about posting a photo later today

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Took a few pics and posted them on my Facebook page: Doug Frey (Cascade, Iowa - not sure how many are out there). If there is a way to import them from there, let me know.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:02 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:Took a few pics and posted them on my Facebook page: Doug Frey (Cascade, Iowa - not sure how many are out there). If there is a way to import them from there, let me know.

Please post a link to your facebook page. I will then post the photos for you.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 pm

https://www.facebook.com/doug.frey.733? ... -Y&fref=nf

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/doug.frey.733?__tn__=%2CdC-RH-R-R&eid=ARDJ3C7CSg5vbKwF0vWGjapBRwRhha44AzbRKXhNPX4A2wElNPJZ-Aietg0eD0DlUWzMq9M3l6b_XrGP&hc_ref=ARQ38BzulZsNu_zzSKdJ3unq0De0b7Xx3G6WPu92fkexL3K_yKMRRLJuMdgOtTSd2-Y&fref=nf

I don't see any photos of your ASAT body on your page though. :searching:

Can you send them to me and I will post them here?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Click on the link again. It comes right up for me and first post is the pics of the body.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:48 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:Click on the link again. It comes right up for me and first post is the pics of the body.

I tried again and still no pics. Perhaps your fb post is not shared to all.

Again, if you will email me the photos, I can post them for you.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Here are anteriorl5's photos:

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 pm

I can find only one other lefty ASAT Special with DTV bridge registered here on G&LDP, making this process of hunting down parts seem more worthwhile. Still waiting on the neck from Musikraft, but hope to find a 3-bolt ASAT neck in the future. No doubt it will be a righty neck, but since I play strung righty, that will be just fine. If you have one laying around, tired of looking at it, let me know.