Any info about this version SC3?

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:02 pm

I own a 1990 SC3 three color Sunburst (touch me) always looking for another. Came across this piece on reverb. Seller says "mid- eighties" I questioned this and got this reply... "Sorry, this item is on consignment, so that year is just what the original owner said.
The serial number is 0024016 if you would like to do some research yourself. I couldn't find out anything conclusive, sorry about that!" So! What have we here?

Here is the listing:https://reverb.com/item/18768708-red-fender-g-l-stratocaster-sc3 What have we here! Attila

Re: Any info about this version SC3?

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm

attila wrote:I own a 1990 SC3 three color Sunburst (touch me) always looking for another. Came across this piece on reverb. Seller says "mid- eighties" I questioned this and got this reply... "Sorry, this item is on consignment, so that year is just what the original owner said.
The serial number is 0024016 if you would like to do some research yourself. I couldn't find out anything conclusive, sorry about that!" So! What have we here?

Here is the listing:https://reverb.com/item/18768708-red-fender-g-l-stratocaster-sc3 What have we here! Attila

That is a third style SC-3 and the serial number is G024016. Check out Greg Gagliano's G&L 1988 SC-3 website page.
Also check out our Gallery 1988 - 1989 Memorabilia.
And check out this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Craig,
The SC3 I have IS the 3rd ve3rsion....look close at this one. If my eyes don't deceive me It has 3 control knobs, and the Output jack is on the Slant like a Strat....Sure ain't the one on your link, dang sure not the one I own; One I own is 3 color sunburst, and has non locking tuners. You all know more then I, please pass it on!

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:31 pm

attila wrote:Craig,
The SC3 I have IS the 3rd ve3rsion....look close at this one. If my eyes don't deceive me It has 3 control knobs, and the Output jack is on the Slant like a Strat....Sure ain't the one on your link, dang sure not the one I own; One I own is 3 color sunburst, and has non locking tuners. You all know more then I, please pass it on!

Doh! You are right. :oops:

It might be a Skyhawk with an SC-3 neck. Perhaps an employee guitar. Do you have the serial number? I'll ask Dave to look it up.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:41 pm

This is the number I was given 0024016...check out the link and the post from the seller. I Once read an article about SC3 and the closing comment was about an SC3 that was "essentially a mini strat". Thank You for your interest!

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:53 pm

attila wrote:This is the number I was given 0024016...check out the link and the post from the seller. I Once read an article about SC3 and the closing comment was about an SC3 that was "essentially a mini strat". Thank You for your interest!

The serial number is likely to be G024016. It's not in our G&L Registry, so I will email Dave McLaren to see what he finds in the factory logs.

Stay tuned.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Craig, nothing yet on the SC3 in question?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 pm

attila wrote:Craig, nothing yet on the SC3 in question?

Nope, Dave has been busy and has not responded to any of my recent emails.
I will followup with another email next week.