91 G&L Leo Fender Signature S500 w fine tuning tremolo prob

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:29 am

I just got a 91 signature strat and it came with the kind of rare leo fender bridge with adjustable fine tuning. the previous owner said one of the fine tuning screws broke (on the high e string position) so he removed all the fine tuning screws and just tunes the strings via the tuners on the head. They are locking style tuners. This guitar was made with no locking nut, its just locking tuners. He also blocked off the tremolo. I want to bring it back to original playing setup with a working tremolo and working fine tuners. The previous owner saved the broken screw and the other 5 good screws. The reason the fine tuning screw broke is unknown.. but a clue...if you try to use one of the good screws in the high e tuner hole, it wont thread. But I wont force it. So I'm thinking of 2 options:

1) clean up the threads with a tap and find another fine tuning screw.. where can I find one? anyone here have one?
2) find an exact replacement bridge. anyone here got one?

any help or advice would be appreciated. I can provide pics tonight... I'm at work right now, and the guitar is at home.

Re: 91 G&L Leo Fender Signature S500 w fine tuning tremolo p

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Sir Crunch and congrats on a nice G&L.

I don't see why re-tapping those threads wouldn't work, just be sure to use the right size tap. Those are some pretty fine threads but I'm not sure what they are. Maybe someone here does.

You also have asked the 64 thousand dollar question or two. Just about everyone is looking for those screws and I don't recall ever seeing a post where someone found them. I would think there is a screw that would work but not match the others. Maybe replace all six?

As for finding an entire fine tuner bridge like that..Ha Ha Ha...that's funny! Not to be mean, it's another item that people have been looking for that is a very rare beast. I found one on Reverb a couple years ago and the seller wanted a fortune for it. I slowly was able to talk him down to a reasonable price, for what it is, and picked it up. I'm not sure what I am saving it for but I know I may never see another one for sale again. I own 5 or 6 guitars with this bridge so maybe just spare parts through the years.

Either way, welcome to the forum and do show us some pics...we love pics. Let us know what you find with replacing that one screw. You never know, you might just come across a solution that would help many of us looking for a solution to this problem.

Tom