Please help Grandpa value his 1987 Skyhawk

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello all you G&L experts,
I need some advice-guidance, please.
Way,Way back in 1987 a friend talked me into buying a guitar and he was gone teach me to play it.
Well, I did and about 6 months later my musical interests ended, ( which I greatly regret now at age 64)
Anyway, I went to a local musical store and bought a brand G&L Skyhawk, serial number is G020500.
I have kept this guitar stored under my bed all these years, I have taken it out occasionally cleaned it,
picked on it then put it back. As you can guess it is still like brand new. I suppose it's time to sell it
but I don't have a clue as to a fair value, so I joined this site to ask for help.
From browsing this site, I believe you call it clear Blue and the fret board is rosewood.
I should have figured out how to put a picture here before I started typing, I'll do that next.
Can you help me out please
Thanks and wish you all good holidays coming up.

Re: Please help Grandpa value his 1987 Skyhawk

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm

greetings!

For a minty vintage G&L with original hardcase, $1000 or more is not unusual.
It might bring more if your willing to wait for that guy who is looking for a blue Skyhawk.
I would hesitate letting it go for less than $800.

Of course , pics will help us evaulate her :)
(maybe someone with a bluebook can help)

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:27 pm

I suggest you watch Ebay and Reverb.com for G&L prices. It seems to me that the asking prices for used USA G&L guitars has gone up recently. Not sure what they are selling for though. I would think a mint vintage G&L would bring a very good price. Since you don't seem to be in a hurry to sell it, watch the sites for a while to get an idea for the market. Remember that "Tribute" G&L guitars are not made in the USA, so ignore them for price comparison.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 pm

See this post in our Knowledgebase:Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?
To post photos see this post and look for the link to our Tutorial on posting photos: Welcome! Read This First.
And, please do add your Skyhawk to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction.