Possible acquisition - 88 G&L ASAT Special

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 am

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at a G&L ASAT Special - current owner says it's an '88 USA. It's three-bolt, etc., and I have no reason to doubt him.

I'm curious, though, about the "by Leo Fender" on the headstock. Is this indicative of anything or was this just normal for a couple years?

Thanks -

Re: Possible acquisition - 88 G&L ASAT Special

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 am

That decal is only indicative of its age. Around 1987, G&L started an active add campaign with the famous "The best instruments I have ever made" ad. They also started to use the larger version of the "by Leo Fender" decal placed at the end of the headstock which had first appeared in smaller form on the Broadcaster in 1985 under the model decal. Around 1990, they stopped using the large decals again although the small decal was still used on certain models.

After BBE got sued by FMIC when they took over G&L at the end of 1991, all references to Leo Fender by name were removed. This included any remaning decals of this kind as well as the Signature decals. Instead you find "GUITARS BY LEO" in small print under the gold letter with black border G&L logo decals. Initially the white letter with black border logos did not have such phrase underneath!l

- Jos

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 am

Thank you, Jos!

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:28 am

FYI, I picked up the ASAT. I pulled the neck off, double-checked the dates and both body and neck were manufactured in 1988.

Couple of finish cracks here and there in the body, but the neck in in phenomenal shape with some spectacular wear on the fretboard. I'll post an NGD after I get her cleaned up and restrung.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:27 pm

That is a nice guitar.

Y2kc

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 am

y2kc wrote:That is a nice guitar.

Y2kc

Thank you!

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Really cool :D