Leo Era Cases

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:44 am

Feel like I must be missing where the sticky is that describes these, but I can only find the modern cases referenced. What brand was used, if I want to seek out an original style case for my F100 ? At present it lives in a generic Strat Case that's big enough to fit it, would like to do better- so might as well try to grab one of the old ones.

Re: Leo Era Cases

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am

Danley wrote:Feel like I must be missing where the sticky is that describes these, but I can only find the modern cases referenced. What brand was used, if I want to seek out an original style case for my F100 ? At present it lives in a generic Strat Case that's big enough to fit it, would like to do better- so might as well try to grab one of the old ones.

See the GbL Gallery as there is an album for Instrument Cases.
Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Thank you. Looking through the pics I don't see any obvious badging for an OEM case manufacturer on those. I wonder who made the cases, since searching for cases made by that manufacturer may yield more results than looking for "G&L Cases" online. They do look very similar to vintage Fender cases on the outside at least.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am

The case for my Leo era ASAT looks like the G&G case that came with my recent SC-2, but with gold hardware and piping. You might try contacting G&G cases in Los Angeles to see if they have something that would work. Personally, if the case is not the original one that came with the guitar, I don't think one case is any more "original" than any other. The plastic G&L cases are much lighter than the wood cases and probably protect better. I am partial to Hiscox cases from the U.K. and have used them as replacements for a few acoustic guitars where the original cases have gotten to the end of their useful lives. Just my 2 cents, and would be interested to hear what others think.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I have a 1981 F-100. I'm not certain but have assumed it was in the original case. I searched it for markers, and on the latch/fastener it says Cheney England. If you do an internet search you will see a few examples of older G&L guitars being sold with Cheney cases.
David

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 pm

I also just checked my 80s SB-1, and it's also in a Cheney-England case.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Great info- I wonder if Australia had a different vendor for cases than US? I believe that was the scenario with export Fender cases as well.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Danley wrote:Great info- I wonder if Australia had a different vendor for cases than US? I believe that was the scenario with export Fender cases as well.

It's possible, but these two guitars were imported from dealers in the US.

Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Leo cases G&G.