F100 headstock anomalies...

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 am

I have a 1981 F-100 (Series II), serial number G006880, pot. numbers R1378029 & R1378043, neck date: Dec 17 1980. There are however two anomalies on the headstock, both of which appear factory-originals and not replacements; G&L tuners and a plastic T-shaped string tree. Can anyone shed any light on whether these might be “special request” fitments, or indeed on any reason why what are plainly factory-installed parts may diverge from the more familiar fittings? Thanks.

Re: F100 headstock anomalies...

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:23 am

I have an '83 F100 that IIRC also has '81 dates in various places/per the serial.

Do you see anywhere the original bar-type retainer would have been screwed? A graph-tec (or similar) was stock on later models that looks like plastic, not sure I've seen one on an F100 but the mounting is different enough you'd notice extra holes if you ever had the early-style bar.

Mine has G&L branded Schaller "diamond" tuning heads. Are these the tuners?

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 am

Across The Water wrote:I have a 1981 F-100 (Series II), serial number G006880, pot. numbers R1378029 & R1378043, neck date: Dec 17 1980. There are however two anomalies on the headstock, both of which appear factory-originals and not replacements; G&L tuners and a plastic T-shaped string tree. Can anyone shed any light on whether these might be “special request” fitments, or indeed on any reason why what are plainly factory-installed parts may diverge from the more familiar fittings? Thanks.

Please post photos of your guitar, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.
Are you the original owner?

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 am

These are back and front pics. As I say, the neck date is Dec 17 1980. As you see, no indication of previous installations. Craig - no, I'm not the original owner. I bought the instrument in 1998. Thanks for the help, guys!

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:02 am

Can you post photos of the full guitar (front and back)?

I am checking with a contact at the factory to see what is in the log book for the serial number you listed.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

Craig - hope these help...

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:25 am

Craig wrote:Can you post photos of the full guitar (front and back)?

I am checking with a contact at the factory to see what is in the log book for the serial number you listed.

I just heard back from Dave Mclaren:

Hi Craig,

That serial number is typed in the log but nothing written for the instrument, so we’ve got nothing on it. The numbers around it tend to be early 1982. Anytime there’s something unusual, it’s always worth looking in the pickup pockets, neck pocket and neck heel for clues. Stuff that might get tinkered with in final assembly but doesn’t affect wood or paint shops might be based on a normal production model so no special markings, it just happened at the end.

Ok, just went to the post and saw the pics. Now there are guys who are more keen on the documenting changes than me, but I can imagine this guitar is factory. IIRC, the time frame of those serial numbers was before we moved to Helmut Schaller’s more modern tuner housing and design. So, newer tuners would be tested, and maybe on this guitar the Graph-Tech nut was as well. Both wound up on production G&Ls not too long afterward.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Hope this helps.

PS I think Dave means the Graph-Tech tree not nut.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:27 am

Across The Water wrote:Craig - hope these help...

Thanks for the photos ... beautiful Mahogany body! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 am

No bi-cut neck, but later tuners & string tree. Weird.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am

That's brilliant, Craig! Very many thanks!

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 pm

I've actually never seen such tuners on a G&L before. Although they say G&L, they look like the Gotoh variety that they put on a few guitars.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 pm

You might be on to something. I thought they were the same style as my later SC3 Schaller tuning keys but with a black body- On examination looks like a lot of the angles and overall structure is different. None of it appears to be aftermarket necessarily though; I guess that'd support the story that it's G&L playing with the spec. a bit.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Across The Waters,

Looks like a gorgeous employee guitar made/assembled at a much later date than the date stamps indicate. The string tree places it between about 1987 and 2009 and we know a lot of employee guitars originate from the 1992-1993 era when BBE had just taken over operations at G&L. I have seen those machines elsewhere and try to remember where. None of my guitars have them. Is the housing plastic? Because in looks, they remind me of a set of Schallers I bought in 1980 or thereabouts.

- Jos

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it left the factory that way back in the early 1980s.

That is a gorgeous mahogany body.

Ken

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:49 pm

That is really an amazing piece, never seen one like that either. I'd say they are right it is a one off from the factory. Almost looks like some kind of brand new neck!

really beautiful.

Doc.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:00 pm

I believe that this F-100 is factory original.
It would be unlikely that an employee could source the dated 80's neck, early 80's bridge and dated 80's pots in the 90's and build an 80's replica = why would they?
Also, those tuners, which I believe are made by Gotoh, and are all metal, may well be sample tuners supplied to G&L for appraisal, because as Dave mentions G&L were moving forwards with the hardware at the time.
The string tree is more odd in that it did not appear on production models until a few years later, however, it may well have been available in the early 1980's and added for testing/request - Anyone remember these being around back then?
Regardless, without doubt this guitar is a wonderful example of the F-100 in fantastic condition.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Check it:

https://reverb.com/item/10643465-vintag ... w.ds&pla=1

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am

F-100 from 1982:

SC-2 from 1983:

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am

My F100 from 1983 (Jan. 4th) has the above-pictured G&L-branded diamond tuners.

My SC3 (Strat Style, body stamp is either '87/'88) is the same as the '83 SC3 pictured.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Across The Waters,

Looks like a gorgeous employee guitar made/assembled at a much later date than the date stamps indicate. The string tree places it between about 1987 and 2009 and we know a lot of employee guitars originate from the 1992-1993 era when BBE had just taken over operations at G&L. I have seen those machines elsewhere and try to remember where. None of my guitars have them. Is the housing plastic? Because in looks, they remind me of a set of Schallers I bought in 1980 or thereabouts.

- Jos

Well, today I was reminded where I had seen these machines before: on an early ASAT Classic with Bird's Eye maple neck once in Dale Hyatt's possession. That guitar is on sale on Reverb (https://reverb.com/item/15149198-1991-g ... -prototype). Given this particular guitar, it would put the year around 1990/1991 for the period these machines were used. This is a picture I got from Gabe Dellevigne shortly after Dale had passed away:

- Jos

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am

Hi Jos,

What do you make of the 1984 Invader currently listed on Reverb.com with the same tuners - link posted above by Danley?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Kevin A wrote:Hi Jos,

What do you make of the 1984 Invader currently listed on Reverb.com with the same tuners - link posted above by Danley?

Hi Kevin,

Not withstanding the conundrum of the tuning machines, and absent any inspection of date stamps on the heel and/or in the pocket, the guitar looks otherwise legit. If I read the S/N right (by magnifying one particular pic), it seems to be in the G016### range, which jibes with the 1984/1985 time frame.

- Jos