Looking for a G&L adept luthier for Broadcaster neck

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Okay, so I'm looking for a luthier who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about G&Ls to take on an ambitious project. I have an 85 Broadcaster with a faulty truss rod. I have a nice Musikraft neck on the guitar now, but I would like to get the original neck in working order. I emailed G&L about repairing it, and they didnt want to do it. I also took it to a local luthier who didn't want to touch it because of the bi-cut neck. Does anyone here know of someone who is experienced with the bi-cut neck design and would be willing to try and replace the truss rod? It's a maple fretboard, so there's no taking the board off; it'll have to be taken apart lengthwise.

Thanks

Re: Looking for a G&L adept luthier for Broadcaster neck

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm

I would contact Dan Erlewine. Given that it is a vintage Broadcaster and a guitar of real significance, he might be willing to take it on. If not he may be able to point you to someone who could do the repair. We might get a video link from Stew Mac detailing your vintage Broadcaster truss rod repair.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:41 am

Hello,

I can understand why G&L declined to work on this guitar. The neck is glued together and that joint is as strong as the wood that surrounds it. Separating the two pieces could result in a mess.
I agree with asking Dan or Mark Erlwine if they are interested. They both have an "everything is possible" attitude about historic repairs. I think talking to either of these men will answer many questions.
This will not be a repair, it will be a full reconstruction.$$$

Please let us know what they say and what you are going to do,

y2kc

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 am

Look up Jack Wells on the G&L Buy/Sell facebook page , he has some great photos of whats involved in pulling the truss rod out for repair , then PM him

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:50 pm

elguapo136 wrote:Okay, so I'm looking for a luthier who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about G&Ls to take on an ambitious project. I have an 85 Broadcaster with a faulty truss rod. I have a nice Musikraft neck on the guitar now, but I would like to get the original neck in working order. I emailed G&L about repairing it, and they didnt want to do it. I also took it to a local luthier who didn't want to touch it because of the bi-cut neck. Does anyone here know of someone who is experienced with the bi-cut neck design and would be willing to try and replace the truss rod? It's a maple fretboard, so there's no taking the board off; it'll have to be taken apart lengthwise.

Thanks

I am curious, what is faulty with the truss rod?

Have you maxed out the threads while adjusting it?
If so, you might remove the truss nut and add some washers to give you more adjustment.

Just a thought.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:21 am

Craig wrote:
elguapo136 wrote:Okay, so I'm looking for a luthier who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about G&Ls to take on an ambitious project. I have an 85 Broadcaster with a faulty truss rod. I have a nice Musikraft neck on the guitar now, but I would like to get the original neck in working order. I emailed G&L about repairing it, and they didnt want to do it. I also took it to a local luthier who didn't want to touch it because of the bi-cut neck. Does anyone here know of someone who is experienced with the bi-cut neck design and would be willing to try and replace the truss rod? It's a maple fretboard, so there's no taking the board off; it'll have to be taken apart lengthwise.

Thanks

I am curious, what is faulty with the truss rod?

Have you maxed out the threads while adjusting it?
If so, you might remove the truss nut and add some washers to give you more adjustment.

Just a thought.

I tried that. There just aren't any threads left to tighten the nut any further. It's possible to get the guitar playable, but the action is never great. Too much relief.

Also, the guitar was like this when I got it. I got a really good deal knowing the neck issues, which was cool with me because I got a Musikraft neck for it with a profile I prefer to the vintage G&L profiles. I guess it just irks me that the original neck is just sitting around unused.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:24 am

Tooslowhand wrote:I would contact Dan Erlewine. Given that it is a vintage Broadcaster and a guitar of real significance, he might be willing to take it on. If not he may be able to point you to someone who could do the repair. We might get a video link from Stew Mac detailing your vintage Broadcaster truss rod repair.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did contact Dan, and he said he'd be willing to take a look. I'm going to mail him the neck soon and see what he says.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm

The Jack Wells repair thread referenced above by Fumble Fingers looked like an excellent method to effect the repair you are looking for. He didn't slice the neck, which might not be possible anyway, but found a way to get to the end at the heel. I would forward the link to Erlewine as it might be helpful to him. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Here is the link:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/truss-rod-replacement.116597/